Primary School Admissions

Starting Reception in 2014/15

Pupils usually start primary school in the year of their fifth birthday. If your child is born between 1 September 2009 and 31 August 2010 this will be from September 2014.

National Offer Day

All parents that applied before 15 January 2014 will be sent a letter informing parents of the outcome of their application on 16 April 2014. Both online applicants and those who have completed paper applications will be sent a letter. Parents who applied online will also be able to access the outcome of their application on the evening of 16 April 2014 by visiting the eadmissions portal. Parents will receive an email when this information will be available on the website.

For further information on the Authority’s admissions arrangements for Primary schools please read the ‘Starting School in Tower Hamlets’ brochure and visit equal chance for more information.

Late Applications

Applications received after 15 January 2014 will be considered as late and will not be processed until after 16 April 2014.

If you live in Tower Hamlets and have not yet applied for a reception place you need to complete an application form and return this to Pupil Admissions by 7 May 2014. You will receive a letter informing you of the outcome of your application on 6 June 2014. You will not be able to apply online. Please read the ‘Starting School in Tower Hamlets’ brochure for more information.

If you live outside of Tower Hamlets, you will need to applythrough the Local Authority in which you live, however, you may still include Tower Hamlets schools as part of your application.

Waiting Lists

If your child is not offered a place at your first choice school or if you would likeyour child to be considered for other schools, you will need to add your child to the waiting list. For community schools in Tower Hamlets please use the response form attached to your offer letter and return by 7 May 2014 or alternatively you can request this by email to Further offers will be made from 6 June 2014 onwards.

To add your child to the waiting list for a faith based school, please contact the school directly and for a school outside of Tower Hamlets, please contact the relevant Local Authority.


If your child has not been offered a place at a school of your preference you can appeal against that decision. The appeal panel is independent of the Council and schools in the borough.

Infant class size legislation applies to appeals for children starting reception. This means that a class must not contain more than 30 pupils with a single school teacher. Parents should note that there are only very limited circumstances where reception appeals are successful.

If you wish to appeal you can download an admission appeals form (PDF 187kb) or call Pupil Admissions. Please include any evidence or supporting material with your appeal form and you must give the grounds for your appeal at the time the appeal is lodged. You may appeal for more than one school.

For your appeal to be heard in June 2014, you will need to submit your appeal form by 14 May 2014. Appeals received after this date will result in a delay to your appeal being heard.  Please read the appeal timetable 2014 (PDF, 40kb) for more information.

Deferring School Entry

Children usually start at reception in September, however, parents can request that their child starts later in the school year. Please read the advice on Deferring School Entry for more information and if you would like to defer your child’s entry to school you will need to complete a ‘Deferring School Entry Form’ and return it to Pupil Admissions.

Need a school place today?

If your child is of nursery, primary or secondary school age now and does not have a school place, please contact the council's Pupil Admissions team on 020 7364 5006 or visit our in-year admissions page.


Contact Us

If you require any further information or advice about the primary admissions process, please contact the Pupil Admissions Team.

Pupil Admissions Team

Mulberry Place

5 Clove Crescent


E14 2BG

Tel: 020 7364 5006





Further information