Housing Associations

Housing associations (also known as Registered Providers) are organisations that are run independently from councils. They are the main developers of new homes in the social housing sector and provide housing for people. They are part funded by the government, through the Homes and Communities Agency and raise the rest of the money they need for developing homes from banks and private finance institutions.

Housing associations are non profit making organisations so any surpluses are used to maintain existing homes and help finance new ones. Tower Hamlets Housing Forum (THHF) is a partnership between 21 of the largest housing associations that operate in the borough and the council.

Each housing association is different and they provide housing for people from many different sections of the community. Some associations provide for the whole range of housing needs, from homes to rent for families and single people, to homes for sale through the different low cost home ownership and supported housing schemes.

Housing Associations are regulated by the Homes and Communities Agency.

Housing co-operatives are groups of people who live in and collectively manage their accommodation. This involves taking responsibility for arranging repairs, making decisions about rent and who joins or leaves the co-op.

There are more than 50 housing associations working in Tower Hamlets managing over 30,000 homes.

Housing associations operating in the borough:

For more information on THHF please contact the ‘Registered Partners Partnership Officer’ on the telephone number below.

Contact us

Strategic Housing Team
Development and Renewal Directorate
Mulberry Place (AH)
PO Box 55739
5 Clove Crescent
London E14 1BY

Tel: 0207 364 6250