Voter registration forms

To register to vote, please complete and return a voter registration form.

Download the Household Voter Registration Form (pdf, 48kb). For more information, see registration timetablelist of eligible countries (pdf, 22kb) and frequently asked questions.

Permanent Opt Out (Section 11, DPA 1998) - If you are registered, you can choose to permanently opt-out your personal information from the Edited version of the Register of Electors by completing this form (pdf, 104kb). This means your personal information cannot be used for direct marketing. By completing the form, your details will not be included on the next and future versions of the Edited Register until further notice. Read the Full and Edited Register for more information.

Other category registration forms

Declaration of local connection

Homeless person registration form (pdf, 37kb)
This form is designed to be completed by homeless persons in order to be included on the Register of Electors. For the purposes of electoral registration, a homeless person is someone who has no fixed or permanent address.

Mental health patient registration form (pdf, 43kb)
This form should be completed by a person who is under mental health care.

Remand prisoner registration form (pdf, 43kb)
This form should be completed by a prisoner being held on remand.

Overseas electors

Application form to register as an Overseas elector (pdf, 138kb)

This form should be completed by British citizens living overseas, or for a British national who will be living outside of the UK for a period of more than six months. In order to qualify for registration as an overseas elector, the applicant must have been registered at an address in this authority within the past 15 years. The declaration needs to be attested by a British citizen who is not related to the applicant (non family member) and who is also living outside of the UK. Once an application has been approved, it must be renewed every year, but can be cancelled at any time. The electoral services office will send overseas electors a reminder form for this purpose.

Service voters

Application form to register as a Service voter (pdf, 65kb)

If you are based overseas, you can register as a service voter by completing this form. This form allows you to registered to vote at an address in the UK while you are away from home or posted abroad. You can also register as a service voter if you live in the UK but may be posted elsewhere at short notice or if you are the spouse or civil partner of a member of the armed forces. As a service voter, you must renew your registration every three years, but you can cancel it at any time. You will receive a reminder letter from your Electoral Services office three months before you need to renew your service voter registration. Please inform the Electoral Services office if you change your address so you reminder letter is sent to the correct address.

If you are based in the UK, you can also register as an ordinary elector using the Household Voter Registration Form or by completing the voter registration form delivered to your home between September and November every year.

Crown servants or British council employees

Application form to register as a Crown Servant/ British Council employee or spouse (pdf, 65kb)

Please complete this form if you are working outside the UK as a Crown Servant or as an employee of the British Council. Spouse/ Civil partner of a Crown Servant or British Council employee accompanying them during their employment abroad can also register to vote by completing this form. You will be registered at the address where you would be living if you were in the UK or at your last registered address.

Anonymous registration

Application form to register as an anonymous elector (pdf,56kb)

There are strict criteria for anonymous registration and a person has to provide evidence such as a relevant order under the Family Law Act 1996 or the Protection from Harassment Act 1997. If a person does not have an order they can apply using an attestation that has to be signed by a qualifying officer of various organisations that are listed in the Section 31J of the Representation of the People (England and Wales) (Amendment) (No.2) Regulations 2006. This form cannot be used as an ex–directory system for those who do not want their details published in the Register of Electors.

Absent vote forms

To apply for an absent vote (postal/ proxy), your details must be on the Electoral Register.

Postal vote

It is not possible to download a postal vote application form from our website. If you require a postal vote application form, please contact the Electoral Services office on 020 7364 0872 or email

Proxy vote

Proxy Voter Application Form (pdf, 20k)

This is when you appoint someone else to vote on your behalf. If you are unable to go to the polling station because of a long-term health problem or your employment circumstances mean that you are often away from the area during polling hours, you can apply for a proxy vote. 


Contact us

Electoral Services Office
Town Hall
Mulberry Place
5 Clove Crescent
E14 2BG

Tel:  020 7364 0872
Fax: 020 7364 3758