Anti-social behaviour

Anti-social behaviour (ASB) is a term which covers a range of issues from serious violence and harassment to more everyday incidents and situations like noisy dogs or rubbish dumping. The definition of ASB is “Any activity that causes alarm, distress or harassment to the individual or the community”. 

ASB includes the following

  • all types of harassment including verbal and physical abuse and threats, whatever the motivation
  • racial and other kinds of harassment motivated by someone’s age, disability, faith or sexual orientation (which is known as hate crime)
  • drug misuse, alcohol-related nuisance and prostitution
  • vandalism, graffiti and damage to property
  • noise nuisance at high levels, unreasonable hours or continuous environmental health issues
  • other nuisance like dumping rubbish, dog fouling, uncontrolled pets, car repairs, dangerous parking and abandoned cars.

We want everyone to enjoy living, working and visiting in Tower Hamlets, feeling safe and confident.  The council believes that nobody should have to live with anti-social behaviour and is committed to working in partnership with safer neighbourhood teams and other statutory partners, voluntary and private sector organisations, and most importantly, local people, to deal with ASB wherever it occurs across Tower Hamlets.                                   

Reporting anti-social behaviour

You do not have to be a council tenant to make a report. Anyone living, working or visiting in Tower Hamlets can report ASB, however tenants should report ASB to their landlords in the first instance.  We take a balanced approach to reports of serious anti-social behaviour and use a number of tools established by the Crime & Disorder Act 1998 and the ASB Act 2003 to deal with anti-social behaviour.

The council will deal with the following complaints:

  • serious damage to council property
  • threatening behaviour and/or verbal abuse (not leading to actual bodily assault)
  • noise from businesses
  • uncontrolled dogs/pets
  • noise nuisance
  • door knocking/banging.

To report the above types of anti-social behaviour please email your complaint to or complete an online reporting form.

The police will deal with the following complaints:

  • nuisance, rowdy or inconsiderate neighbours
  • vandalism, graffiti and fly-posting
  • the buying or selling of drugs in public
  • street drinking
  • environmental damage including littering, dumping of rubbish and abandonment of cars
  • prostitution related activity
  • begging and vagrancy
  • fireworks misuse
  • inconsiderate or inappropriate use of vehicles.

To report the above types of anti-social behaviour or a crime that has already happened or to seek crime prevention advice please call the police non-emergency 101 reporting line.

Calls to 101 from landlines and mobiles cost 15 pence per call, no matter what time of day you call or how long your call lasts.

Always call 999 when a crime is happening, someone suspected of a crime is nearby, someone is injured, being threatened or in danger.

To discuss any issues about community safety contact your local Safer Neighbourhood team by visiting the Tower Hamlets Met policing page.

To receive your local Safer Neighbourhood team newsletters, sign up for the group email service on the neighbourhood link page and follow your local Safer Neighbourhood team on Twitter @MPSTowerHam.