Demolition control and advice

The Building Act 1984 contains provisions that enable local authorities to control demolition works for the protection of public safety and amenity, and to ensure adjoining premises and the site are made good on completion of the demolition:

  • If you intend to demolish a building you are required to notify the local authority using the demolition notice on our building control application forms page  with a copy to the utility services (Gas and Electricity) and the occupier of any adjacent building.
  • On receipt of the notice the building will be visited to determine whether conditions need to be imposed to control:
     - the process of demolition
     - the remedial works needed on adjoining buildings
     - the effect on services 
     - the treatment of the site on completion
  • You will need to consult someone from the conservation and historic building team if the building to be demolished is listed or situated in a conservation area.
  • The council’s highway maintenance section will inspect the condition of the existing pavements and road surface so that any damage as a result of the demolition may be reinstated at the person carrying out the demolition’s expense.
  • Advice can be obtained from street services should any temporary road closures or alteration to pedestrian routes be necessary. Contact the Public Realms department  on  0207 364 5004 or email
  • The council has six weeks to issue its notice of conditions but will aim to do this earlier wherever possible. It is unlawful to commence demolition until this notice is given.
  • Inspections will be made during the course of demolition and on completion as necessary to ensure that the conditions imposed by the council are met and a charge will be made to recover expenses incurred for undertaking surveys and for issuing the notice of conditions.
  • Attention is drawn to the Construction Design and Management Regulations 1994 that apply to all demolition works and to the Party Wall Act 1996 in respect of works to party walls, party fence walls and party structures.

Should you wish to discuss your proposals before submitting an application, please contact us on 020 7364 5009. Alternatively you can email us at

A duty building control officer is available for general advice on the building regulations. More information about our service is available from our reception at the address below.

How much do I have to pay?

Demolition Notice Charges

Section 10(3) of the London Local Authorities Act 2004 provides for the recovery of reasonably incurred expenses from a person on whom a notice is served under Section 81 of the Act of 1984. The standard flat rate charge covers officer time and administrative costs associated with survey, consultation and issue of the notice.

Find out how to pay charges

How do I complain about noise, dust, hours of work or site safety on demolition sites?

If you want to complain please contact the council’s environmental protection team on 020 7364 5007 or write to:

Environmental Protection
Mulberry Place
Clove Crescent
E14 2BG

Further information

For further information on Building Regulations please view Communities and Local Government or  the Planning portal website.

How to contact us

For all general enquiries please telephone the planning & building control hotline: 020 7364 5009

Building control
Mulberry Place
Clove Crescent
E14 2BG


Open: 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday - except public holidays

Map and directions to office (pdf 110K)