Youngsters have fun ice skating at Get Your Skates On
There’s no need to book a holiday to keep youngsters entertained during half term.
The council is making it easier for parents by offering a range of free activities for children and young people to enjoy throughout the week-long break in February.
Mayor Biggs said: “It can be hard for families to keep youngsters entertained during the holidays especially on a budget. That is why we work hard to come up with a range of free events for everyone to enjoy.”
The borough boasts a wealth of amazing places to visit from our award winning parks and open spaces, Idea Stores and libraries, museums, independent shops and cafes.
Cllr Amina Ali, cabinet member for Culture, Arts and Brexit added: “I hope residents will take advantage of all the fun activities on offer and visit all the wonderful attractions we have in the borough for example Idea Store members can visit the Tower of London for only £1.”
Join in an exciting day out at Get Your Skates On, on Wednesday 20 February at Bethnal Green Gardens in Cambridge Heath Road.
Get Your Skates On will feature a synthetic ice skating rink and free activities including , tennis, athletics, basketball, football, storytellying, face painting, art and crafts and bouncy castle.
Aimed at all ages there is no need to pre book, just turn up and enjoy. Activities start from 11am-4pm.
Over at Victoria Park, build your very own bird box (Tuesday 19 February at 10.30am) or learn how to make delicious soups (Wednesday 20 February at 10am). Activities will take place at the Hub building.
There will be a special Valentine’s Day themed treasure hunt on Thursday 21 February around the park. Solve clues to find as many love hearts as you can. The fun starts at 12noon.
Get creative at an arts and crafts workshop on Friday 22 February from 10am at the V&A Building. To book a place at any of the events at Vicky Park call 020 7364 4909 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
There will be an outdoor play session for children taking place at Whitehorse Adventure Playground on Thursday 21 February from 1pm-4pm. No need to book, just turn up at the park in Whitehorse Road.
There will be an afternoon of arts and crafts activities at King Edward Memorial Park in The Highway on Friday 22 February from 12noon-3pm.
Our Idea Stores and libraries will be staging a half term bonanza with each venue hosting exciting activities. Highlights include:
Idea Store Canary Wharf
- Create your own fiery dragon on Monday 18 February from 2.30pm
Be inspired by dragons in Cressida Cowell’s How to Train Your Dragon or the Harry Potter series to create your own fiery beast.
- Model your own dream home using recycled materials. Will it be a castle, a tree house or yacht on Thursday 21 Feb from 2:30-3:30pm.
Idea Store Watney Market
- Chinese New Year Decorative Flags on Saturday 16 February from 2.30pm.
- Lantern Making on Tuesday 19 February from 2.30pm.
- Make a dragon for your Chinese New Year celebrations on Thursday 21 February from 2:30pm
Idea Store Whitechapel
- Special Story Time for under-fives on Monday 18 February at 10.30am. Join in a fun and interactive session of singing and rhyming.
- Story Writing (Myths and Fairy Tales) on Wednesday 20 February at 2.15pm
- Planting at Idea Store on Saturday 23 February at 2.15pm. Design your own plant pot to sow seeds, then watch them grow.
Idea Store Bow
- Make your own comic book on Thursday 21 February at 2.30pm.
- Animal Mask Making Art Club on Sunday 24 February at 2.15pm.
For the full programme of events and details visit www.ideastore.co.uk
Posted on Thursday 7th February 2019