Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+ Addthis

Message about support for Tower Hamlets businesses

Mayor of Tower Hamlets, John Biggs, said:

"Our high streets reopened a few weeks ago and it is a welcome sight to have so many local businesses open again. As we head towards 17 May, and the further easing of restrictions, I’m sure many local business owners will be breathing a sigh of relief.

"The pandemic hit our high streets hard. Figures from Aldgate Business Improvement District show that around 70 per cent of businesses in the area reopened on 12 April, I’m sure the story is similar across the borough. We’ve got great hope that the other 30 per cent are back open come 17 May.

"The council is grateful for the important role that businesses play in our community. Since the start of the pandemic, we have tried to do all we can to protect our businesses, but we know it’s been a tough time. We’ve provided more than £144m in grant funding, over £103m in business rates relief and will continue to support local businesses as they rebuild after the crisis.

"Since pubs and restaurants were permitted to reopen outside there have been some complaints of noise and littering associated with outside drinking and dining, and there have been a small number of complaints too about venues not confining their activities to well-ventilated outdoor spaces. Our high street and enforcement teams have been working closely with businesses to reduce the impact on residents. We are also mindful that many of our local businesses have been unable to trade for the past 18 months and are keen to generate an income.

"Across all levels of the council we try and employ a common-sense approach that deals with these matters on a case-by-case basis, and I would like to ask residents, visitors and businesses in the borough to show understanding and stick to the government guidelines while we all adjust to the changing restrictions."

Posted on Monday 10th May 2021