Swap don’t shop!
Choose to reuse!
350,000 tonnes of wearable clothing, that’s around £140 million worth, goes for disposal every year in the UK.
Clear out your wardrobe and join SunnyJar Eco Hub, Friends of the Earth Hackney and Tower Hamlets and Tower Hamlets Council Recycling Team. Help tackle clothes waste and pick up some fabulous pre-loved pieces at this fun, free sustainable event!
How it works
- Bring up to 10 items of clothing in good, clean condition between 10.30 – 11.30am and exchange for tokens
- There will be a break between dropping off your clothes and the start of the swap. Join one of our workshops or go away and return
- Between 12 noon – 1.30pm browse and choose items of clothing and exchange your tokens for up to 10 new-to-you pieces!
All clothes and shoes including baby’s, children’s and men’s items accepted but no underwear please.
Please ensure all items are in good, clean condition with no marks, stains, or holes – only bring items you would be happy to take away! All items will be checked before tokens are issued.
You can donate any unused tokens. These will be given to those who do not have tokens and want to join in. Any clothes left at the end will given to charity or brought to the next clothes swap.
Two drop-in workshops will be running during the day from 10.30am to 1.30pm.
Drop-in at any time between 10.30am to 12.45pm and join a small group.
Materials and equipment will supplied.
Workshop 1: Clothes mending
- Bring an item you would like to repair e.g. fix a hole, add a button, or adjust a hem
- You will be guided through the repair process
Workshop 2: Upcycle an old t-shirt into a bag
- Bring an old adult t-shirt you no longer wear, or we will have a selection of old t-shirts to choose from
- You will be shown how to transform your t-shirt into a useful bag