Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+ Addthis

Changing a birth record


There are two scenarios in which a re-registration of the birth may be necessary.

  • Re-registration to add a natural father - form

  • Re-registration after parents' marriage - form

This service is by appointment only. Please bring the relevant completed form to your appointment. Email us at register.office@towerhamlets.gov.uk to book.

If you’re not married and one of you can’t be there, that person also needs to fill in a ‘Statutory declaration of acknowledgement of parentage’ form and post it to the General Register Office.

There is no administrative fee, however you will need to purchase new copies of the certificate at £4 each.

Applying to correct details on a birth registration

This form should be used when applying for a correction. Please bring the completed form to the Register Office to submit your application and pay the statutory fee, which will be between £40 and £90.

If there has been a longer time gap between registration and realising that an error exists, in addition to completing the form setting out how the error came to be made, you must provide documentary proof, dated from within three months of registration, that you are bringing up the child in a name different to that recorded in the registration. This evidence could be in the form of a clinic card, NHS medical card or bank book. The form, along with the documentary evidence, will then be submitted to the Registrar General's office for consideration.  

Further guidance is also provided by gov.uk

Name change

Changed your mind about what you’d like to name your baby? Within the first 12 months of registering your child’s birth, you can change or amend their forename without re-registering. The full copy certificate will contain both the original name and the new name in space 17. 

You’ll need to purchase new certificates at £4, if they are in a current register, or £10 if they have been archived (usually after two months), and there will also be a £40 admin fee. Your certificate will be ready within five working days.

To apply for a name change, visit the register office in person, during any normal opening hours.