Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+ Addthis

Getting married guide

Booking your wedding can seem complicated and daunting, but really there are just four things that you absolutely must do to arrange a legally binding marriage or civil partnership ceremony: 

Step one: Pick the time & place 

A venue that suits you and your partner is a huge part of having a day to remember, so picking the venue is the first port of call. There are a number of different venues to choose from:

Before you can do any of the legal stuff, you will need to have decided when and where your ceremony will take place. 

Step two: book your registrars 

As soon as you agree a date, you must check to see that there is a registrar available to lead and officiate the ceremony. You will need to arrange a registrar from the district in which the ceremony is taking place.

If you're getting married in Tower Hamlets, you can arrange a registrar via this online form.

Step three: give your notice of intention 

Once you have booked the venue and the registrar, formal notice of marriage has to be given by each of you personally at the register office where you live (not where you’re getting married).

It's important to remember that once you give us notice of your date, you can’t change it without giving a new notice, so make sure it’s absolutely finalised.

Find out everything you need to know about giving notice and book an appointment here.

Step four: Plan your ceremony 

If you decide to get married in Tower Hamlets, once you make your booking, our friendly and experienced staff will be happy to help you get ready for your big day.

One of our registrars will be in touch to ask which of our ceremony scripts you would like to use. You’re free to alter the wording in your ceremony, add readings or music, and write your own vows. As long as your ceremony contains the required legal wording and on religious wording, you can personalise it to your exact specifications.

If you’re planning to get married at Bromley Public Hall, take a look at our brochure; it covers everything; from readings to parking and witnesses to confetti.

I'm getting married in my place of worship

Things are a little different when you choose to get married in a place of worship and vary from religion to religion. In the first instance, you should ask your place of worship what you need to do.  

In general, if you're getting married in an Anglican church in England or Wales, you won't need to give notice with the register office. However, for other religious weddings, you will likely still need to attend a notice of intention appointment.  

You also need to ask your place of worship whether they have an authorised person there who is able to register the marriage. If not, you will need to have a registrar present at your ceremony to do this.