Local housing allowance

How it works

The amount of rent used to calculate housing benefit will be based on LHA rates produced by the Rent Service each month.

The LHA rates are based on the number of bedrooms a tenant requires. One bedroom is allowed for:

  • every adult couple
  • any other adult aged 16 years or over
  • any two children of the same sex
  • any two children aged under 10 years, regardless of sex
  • any other child.

The current LHA rates are:

Type of accommodation Local Housing Allowance
April 2017 (weekly)
Local Housing Allowance
April 2018 (weekly)

*Shared Accommodation



1 Bedroom



2 Bedroom



3 Bedroom



4 Bedroom and above




You can find out the amount of rent which will be used to calculate your housing benefit by working out the number of bedrooms you need.

The rate used will be the one for the month in which your housing benefit entitlement starts. This will continue for 12 months unless you move or your household changes.

How is local housing allowance paid?

Local housing allowance will normally be paid to the tenant either by bank cheque or directly into their bank account. Tenants without a bank, building society account are advised to open one.

How to contact us

Tower Hamlets has a centralised benefit claims processing service and a dedicated benefits call centre. Both are based at the Town Hall where all postal, email and telephone enquiries should be directed.

Home visits can be arranged if you are housebound and do not have anyone who can help you.

Benefits Service
London Borough of Tower Hamlets
Mulberry Place
5 Clove Crescent
London E14 2BG

Tel: 020 7364 5001
Fax: 020 7364 7048
Email: benefits@towerhamlets.gov.uk

Personal callers should visit their nearest One Stop Shop to hand in claim forms, obtain receipts and have original evidence photocopied.

Find out more about the Local Housing Allowance.

Related services