Reporting anti-social behaviour

It is important that you report anti-social behaviour live and as it is happening to the police on the non-emergency number, which is 101. 

Always call 999 when a crime is happening, someone suspected of a crime is nearby, someone is injured, being threatened or in danger.

You can also submit your report online, but should contact the police or your housing provider in the first instance. 

How to fill in the form

Please complete the form as best possible. To help us to investigate the incident you will need to complete all sections and provide us with a brief but key description of the incident noting any distinctive information in relation to your incident. We appreciate that in times of distress it is hard to identify your perpetrators but your description of the perpetrators and details of any witnesses will help to speed up the investigation process.

Prerequisites / information to hand

At this stage you will not need to submit any supporting material but we strongly advise that you keep diaries of ongoing incidents and previous incidents, which may be used for investigation purposes. Once our team has received your report the investigation officer will want to see your notes.

What happens next

The community safety service (CSS) or your neighbourhood housing office will contact you as part of the initial investigation process. If your incident is reported via the internet we aim to initiate an investigation of your complaint of anti-social behaviour within five days of the incident being reported.

All incidents are organised by incident categories. The purpose of categorising incidents is to ensure that the appropriate response and proportionate amount of time is devoted towards an investigation.

What to do if things go wrong or further info is required.

At the end of the reporting process you will be provided with a unique reference number, make a note of the number and keep it at hand. You may need this for future reference. If something goes wrong we will be able to track your report using this reference number.

To report any problems please speak to the CSS customer service team on 020 7364 6162.

Submit your report online

Further information

For further information, please contact an anti-social behaviour investigation officer in your area by emailing

Who to contact

To report anti-social behaviour or a crime that has already happened or to seek crime prevention advice please call the Police non-emergency 101 reporting line.  Calls to 101 from landlines and mobiles cost 15 pence per call, no matter what time of day you call or how long your call lasts.

To discuss any issues about community safety contact your local Safer Neighbourhood Team by visiting the Tower Hamlets Met policing page. 

To receive your local Safer Neighbourhood Team newsletters sign up for the group email service on the neighbourhood link page and follow your local Safer Neighbourhood Team on Twitter @MPSTowerHam.

Alternatively you can send your complaint via email to