SEND Capital Funds consultation
The London Borough of Tower Hamlets has been offered as much as £6 million from the government's Capital Fund for the benefit of children and young people with SEND. This funding will be allocated to building projects during 2019 -2021 to improve the quality and range of provision, for children and young people with an education, health and care (EHC) plan, aged 0 to 25.
To receive this money we need to develop a list of projects with partners, especially schools, and ask parents and carers for views. In Tower Hamlets we want our list of projects to support the new SEND Strategy and;
- Help with the increasing demand for special school places, or
- Extend and improve opportunities for independence and employment for young people with an EHC plan, or
- Improve leisure and social opportunities for those with an EHC plan.
There are increasing numbers of children with complex SEND in Tower Hamlets. The new strategy includes commitments:
- To ensure sufficient school places for children and young people with SEND are sustained (p16);
- To increase the opportunities for supported internships and supported employment (p30);
- To increase opportunities for independence including in leisure facilities and parks (p28).
These funds are for:
- new buildings (e.g. classrooms or a washroom)
- changes to buildings (e.g. extending a room or sound-deadening)
- new equipment that is fixed to a building (e.g. a hoist to help changing a child).
The survey asks your views about where we are thinking of putting this money to use.
This survey is now closed.