Council tax

Council tax is the contribution that people who live in Tower Hamlets make to the many services provided by the borough, such as street lighting, collecting rubbish, schools and libraries, as well as the police and fire service.

Most homes in Tower Hamlets are subject to council tax. There is one tax per home, whether it is a house, bungalow, flat, maisonette, mobile home or houseboat, and whether it is owned or rented.

For more information about what you contribute towards the costs of running your services and how the council tax is distributed see the council tax booklet 2017-2018.

For further information about your Council Tax bill see the explanatory notes.



We are promoting e-billing. If you would like to receive your bill by email complete our online e-billing form.

Payment options

Tower Hamlets web payments

Set up an online direct debit instruction

Other payment options

My council tax account

About Tower Hamlets online accounts.


Log in 

Moving in/out of Tower Hamlets

Moving house online form

Review of long term empty properties

In support of the government’s initiative to tackle the shortfall in national housing, the council is reviewing all long term empty properties. Please update the property records for your address.

Electoral registration

If you have moved in/ moved within the borough, you will need to get on the electoral register at your new address in order to vote. Register to vote at or visit the electoral services page.

Contact us

The Revenue Services team
Revenue Services Department
The Town Hall Mulberry Place
5 Clove Crescent
London E14 2BG

Tel: 020 7364 5002
Fax: 020 7364 4456
9am – 5pm Monday to Friday

Email council tax:

Please quote your 10 digit council tax account reference in your email

Or you can call in person to the One Stop Shops located in the borough.