Students & council tax
Full-time students are not included when adding up the number of occupiers of a home or dwelling for the purposes of determining if a discount is to be granted.
If all but one of the occupiers is a student, a 25 per cent discount is granted on the council tax bill. If all the occupiers are students, the dwelling is completely exempt from council tax.
Definition of a student
To qualify as a student for council tax purposes, a person must either be:
- a foreign language assistant
- undertaking a full-time course of education
- undertaking a qualifying course of education
Foreign language assistant
The person must be registered with the Central Bureau for Educational Visits & Exchanges and be appointed as a foreign language assistant at a school or other educational institution in Great Britain.
Full-time course of education
The person must be enrolled for the purpose of attending a full-time course with a prescribed educational establishment. A full-time course is one which:
- subsists for at least one academic year
- requires attendance for at least 24 weeks in each year
- requires study, tuition or work experience for an average of 21 hours per week
Qualifying course of education
The person must be:
- under 20 years old
- not undertaking a course of full-time education
The course must:
- be for more than three months
- be for more than 12 hours per week
- not be a course of higher education
- not be a correspondence course
- not be undertaken in connection with a job
- involve tuition/studies between 8am and 5.30pm
How to apply for a student discount or exemption
You will need to obtain a student certificate from your university or college and send it to the Council with a completed application form (see below). Please note that if you are studying at Queen Mary University of London you do not have to provide a student certificate as your information will be passed direct to the Council by your University but you will still need to complete the online application below.
Download a student disregard application form
If you are a student at Queen Mary University of London you can complete the application online.
Exemption online application