What is ESOL?
ESOL stands for English for speakers of other languages. ESOL students come from all sorts of backgrounds and begin learning at all ages.
ESOL classes are mainly aimed at those who have come to the UK to settle and live permanently and for whom English is not their first language.
How could ESOL help me?
ESOL courses aim to improve speaking, listening, reading and writing skills and can help you to:
- Get a better job
- Participate more fully in life in the UK and your local community
- Talk to doctors and teachers
- Do homework with your child
- Keep yourself and your family healthy
- Use computers to access services
- Understand the laws and customs of the UK
- Find work
- Gain a qualification (subject to eligibility)
Most ESOL classes take place in groups. You will normally be in a group of people who are at the same level as you.
What type of classes are available in Tower Hamlets?
If you would like to find out more about learning English in Tower Hamlets and how it can help you, please email ESOL.Hub@towerhamlets.gov.uk