SME Energy Improvement Grants
Due to the overwhelming number of applications we have received we have now allocated all of the grants available from both funding streams and have no further grants available. We hope to have further grants available at a later date and will update this page when grants become available again.
The council’s SME Energy Improvement Grants Programme is making grants available for 50 per cent of the project costs of energy reduction projects. There are two funding streams available:
- If you are replacing a gas boiler with a form of electric heating (such as a heat pump) or installing a renewable energy technology (such as Solar Panels), you can apply for up to £10,000.
- For all other energy retrofit projects, such as lighting and replacement equipment you can apply for up to £5,000.
Any project that can demonstrate an energy reduction will be considered. Gas boilers are not eligible for funding.
An organisation is eligible to receive a grant if they are a Small to Medium sized Enterprise (SME) by meeting all of the following criteria:
- have no more than 250 employees
- annual turnover less than £25m
- not more than 25 per cent owned by an entity which does not meet the criteria.
In addition the premises where the measures will be installed must be in Tower Hamlets.
If you have received a grant in a previous phase of this programme you are not eligible to apply for another grant from the £5,000 funding stream. However you are eligible to apply for a grant from the £10,000 funding stream to replace a gas boiler with a form of electric heating or install a renewable energy technology.
The following projects are eligible to receive funding:
- energy reduction projects. For example lighting and heating upgrades, insulation and more efficient equipment
- renewable technologies
- any project which can demonstrate that it will achieve acceptable energy savings will be considered.
- gas boilers are not eligible for funding.
Read case study of a completed project.
Applying for a grant
You can apply by downloading the SME Energy Improvement Grants application form.
Once you have submitted your application it will be assessed by a Grants Panel and SMEs will be notified if their application has been successful. Please note that projects cannot start until the grant has been approved.
Before completing the application form please read the guidance on the first page carefully. This gives you all the information you need on how to complete the application form and what we require to be submitted along with the form. There is also more detailed guidance.
Once you have completed the form please send it along with the selected quote(s) for the project and the requested photograph to THEnergy@towerhamlets.gov.uk. You can also contact us via this email address with any questions you have about the programme.