Eating a healthy, balanced diet is an important part of maintaining your health. Not only will it make you feel good but it will help you to maintain your independence.
A balanced diet means eating a wide variety of foods in the right proportions, and consuming the right amount of food and drink to achieve and maintain a healthy body weight.
The NHS advises the following:
- eat five portions of fruit and vegetables a day
- base meals on starchy foods like potatoes, bread, rice or pasta
- have some dairy or dairy alternatives (such as soya drinks)
- eat some beans, pulses, fish, eggs, meat and other protein
- choose unsaturated oils and spreads, eaten in small amounts
- drink plenty of fluids
Find out more about healthy eating on the NHS Eat Well website