Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+ Addthis

Moving home

People who have a long-term, severe health or physical condition can sometimes find they are no longer able to live independently and may need some supported living assistance or a more dedicated care home setting.

You may want to consider living in a more supportive environment where adapting your home is not possible and you're finding independent living difficult. The options include:

  • moving in with family or friends - this can work well, but you'll need to be sure that it's what you all want and be clear about your expectations. You also need to be realistic about whether your family can provide care
  • sheltered housing - may suit you best. You can expect to live independently, as a tenant or leaseholder, safe in the knowledge that there is help nearby if you need it
  • extra care housing - combines living in your own home with personal care. These schemes are usually aimed at older people. Extra care housing is similar to sheltered housing, but provides additional care services to allow those with care requirements to continue to live independently. Extra care housing is specifically built to suit the needs of people requiring higher levels of care
  • care home - residential and nursing care homes are where a number of people live together, supported by care staff who are available 24 hours a day