Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+ Addthis

Living aids and equipment

If you have a disability there may be equipment or adaptations that can help you to live independently in your own home.

Some of this equipment is available through high street retailers or your local chemist. Other options are available through the council, such as the telecare service or assistive technology.

Adaptations in your home could include installing grab rails; improving access through ramps; widening doors or installing a stair-lift. The responsibility for providing these adaptations may depend on who owns your property.

Normally, you'll need to be assessed by an Occupational Therapist to help identify which adaptations you need (if any). If you live in private housing (rather than social housing), then the council can help you to apply for a means-tested grant to help cover the costs.

The Community Directory is the best place to look for equipment to help you live more independently.

More information