Home adaptations and aids for disabled people

Occupational therapy is provided for people who have a disability which affects their normal daily living activities such as dressing, washing, bathing, getting on and off the toilet, getting in and out of the bath, and preparing and cooking a meal. It also includes issues such as access to employment, education, housing and leisure opportunities.

Community occupational therapy can help you if:

  • you are a permanent resident of Tower Hamlets
  • you have a medical condition or physical disability that makes every day tasks difficult to do

What we do


If you feel we may be able to help you we would initially complete an assessment of your needs, either via the phone or by visiting you at home.


The occupational therapist may be able to give you advice or information on more suitable housing, put you in touch with other services, or assist carers to maintain their caring role.

Modifying the tasks you do

We may suggest a new way of carrying out certain tasks to make life easier for you, or provide rehabilitation to improve your ability to do a task.

Adapting your home

This may include improving safety by installing stair and grab rails, improving access to your home by using ramps, widening doors, installing a stair-lift, or other options such as adapting your kitchen or bathroom. The responsibility for providing these adaptations may depend on who owns your property. We can advise you about this if adaptations are needed.

Provide equipment

If you have been assessed as being eligible for our service you may receive equipment. This could include small items such as long handled combs and sponges, specialised cutlery or kettle tippers, to large items such as raised toilet seats, bath lifts and hoists.

Everyone is different, so the services offered to each person will be designed to meet their individual needs.

What if I’m not eligible?

If you are not eligible for our service you may choose to consult a private occupational therapist, or you can purchase equipment independently.

See information on alternative suppliers of equipment and services.

There will be a fee for consulting a private occupational therapist and we cannot reimburse you or guarantee to act upon or follow up on any recommendations of a private occupational therapist.

The College of Occupational Therapy will provide a list of state registered occupational therapists.

College of Occupational Therapy
106 – 114 Borough High Street

Tel: 020 7450 2332

How to contact us

Occupational Therapy Early Intervention Team
Community Occupational Therapy Service
Adults Health & Wellbeing
1 Ewart Place
Roman Road
E3 5EU

Tel: 020 7364 5948 or 020 7364 5945

Email: occupationaltherapy@towerhamlets.gov.uk

Open 9am – 5pm Monday to Friday