Respite care for adults

Carers look after family members, a partner or friends in need of help because they are ill, frail or have a disability. If you are a carer, you may also be caring for someone who has a mental health issue or a learning disability. The care that they provide is unpaid.

Caring for someone with an illness or disability can be rewarding, but it can be worrying and affect your life in many ways such as stopping you have a life of your own. In order for you to have some time for yourself, anyone who undertakes a caring role may be able to access respite care services.

Replacement and respite care can involve the person you care for going into a residential respite centre for a short period of time, or it can involve an organisation providing care at home. Replacement or respite care can usually be discussed as part of a “carer assessment” or the assessment of the person you care for.

If you are over 18 and think you need a carer assessment, please contact the Carer Centre:

Tower Hamlets Carers Centre
21 Brayford Square
E1 0SG

Tel: 020 7790 1765
Opening Hours: 9am – 5pm

If you are caring for a disabled child you should contact Children Services and request a carers assessment.

If you are a young carer please contact Children Services. 

How to contact us:

For further information contact:

Carers Centre: 020 7790 1765
Children Services: 020 7364 5606