The Sight and Hearing service
Our mission statement
'We are the Sight and Hearing service. Our customers are people who are blind, partially sighted, deaf, hard of hearing or deafblind. Our goal is to promote independence, equality and inclusion by providing a personalised service which will enable a person to have choice and control over their life. We will do this by using our specialist knowledge and skills to work with the person, their carer, family, community and services to achieve a positive outcome for them.'
What is the Sight and Hearing service
The Sight and Hearing service helps anyone who is deaf, blind, who has a hearing loss, visual loss or a dual sensory loss. To access the services people must be over 18 years of age and live in Tower Hamlets.
How can we help?
We can provide:
- general information and advice
- an assessment of your needs with regard to your sight loss, hearing loss or dual sensory loss
- support services to meet your eligible needs following assessment, this may include: practical support and specialist equipment
- vision rehabilitation training and equipment to encourage your independent living skills
- mobility /travel training for blind and partially sighted people
- classes in braille and advice on IT equipment
- BSL video link.
- links with local community groups and the NHS who work with adults that have a sensory loss.
The hearing clinic
The hearing clinic offers advice and information available to all Tower Hamlets residents who are deaf or hard of hearing. Equipment demonstrations will also be offered in our clinic. We can also visit you in your own home to address any problems you have with equipment we have provided to you.
When: by appointment
The vision rehab clinic
The vision rehab clinic offers an advice and information service available to all Tower Hamlets residents who have difficulties with their eye sight. We can provide equipment demonstrations and also visit you at home to address any problems you have with the equipment we have provided.
We have CCTV for customers to use to read their confidential correspondence. You can also trial equipment.
When: By appointment
Initial Assessment Team
John Onslow House
1 Ewart Place
Telephone: 0207 364 5005
Text: 07947 308 235