Covid-19 community champions
Covid-19, and the measures taken in response, continue to impact all of us in Tower Hamlets
Our Covid-19 community champions network has been established to empower and support Tower Hamlets residents to stay up to date with the latest advice about Covid-19.
Champions help their family, friends and the wider community make sense of the latest advice and information about Covid-19, to help ensure we all stay safe and alert to the risks of the virus.
As a champion, you will receive regular updates on Covid-19 by text message, WhatsApp, email or in live webinars. You can then share them across your networks, in whatever format you like.
By having and sharing clear information, you, your friends, family and community can make informed choices and help to keep Tower Hamlets safe.
Become a Covid-19 community champion
Anyone can become a Covid-19 community champion. Becoming a Covid-19 community champion is simple and quick.
- You sign up to be a champion (completion takes two minutes)
- We give champions the latest information about Covid-19 in their preferred way of receiving information (for example by email or WhatsApp)
- Champions share this information with anyone in their community, however they want.
- Champions let us know what is and isn’t working.
Sign up to become a Covid-19 community champion
Online webinars for champions
Join us every Monday , 7pm to 8pm for our weekly webinar.
During the live webinar we will share key messages on the current Covid-19 picture in Tower Hamlets, the NHS Test and Trace programme and talk through the latest government guidance.
We’ll also ask champions how they think we can make the best use of our weekly webinar sessions and the Covid-19 community champions programme.
The webinar will be held on Microsoft Teams and you can join online using this link.
We all have a part to play
Along with establishing our champions network, we know that to keep Tower Hamlets safe and ensure our borough stays resilient to the challenges of Covid-19, everyone who lives or works here has a part to play.
This is why we have made five commitments, which set out how we will continue to support our residents around Covid-19. In turn we have set out five commitments for our residents and champions. If we all follow these, together we can keep Tower Hamlets safe.
Tower Hamlets Council will:
- Keep our residents and champions informed of the latest advice and guidance.
- Deliver regular virtual engagement sessions led by health professionals who can speak about the latest advice, guidance and answer questions on Covid-19.
- Provide more testing options locally.
- Support residents who need to isolate because of Covid-19 with food and medication deliveries and provide advice for people experiencing financial difficulties.
- Provide information in community languages so everyone can access information on Covid-19.
Our residents and champions will:
- Practice good hygiene, including washing hands regularly and for at least 20 seconds.
- Keep a safe distance from other people and limit social contact in line with government and local guidance. Wear a face covering on public transport, shops and other enclosed areas.
- If you experience Covid-19 symptoms, self-isolate and book a free test through NHS Test and Trace and engage in contact tracing follow up.
- If you are identified as a close contact of someone who has tested positive for Covid-19, self-isolate for 14 days.
- Help inform and support friends and family, so they have the latest advice and know what they need to do to help keep Tower Hamlets safe.
Support is available
We know that this is a difficult time for many of our residents and we want to remind you that support is available. Visit our page on benefits and financial support, which also lists organisations that can help with welfare advice.
Support for residents while self-isolating is also available through the council.