Covid-19 community champions
Covid-19, and the measures taken in response, continue to impact all of us in Tower Hamlets
Our Covid-19 community champions network has been established to empower and support Tower Hamlets residents to stay up to date with the latest advice about Covid-19.
Who are community champions?
- A local, community network, made up of people who live and work in Tower Hamlets.
- Community champions support their family, friends and wider community make sense of the latest advice and information about Covid-19 (because there’s a lot!) and help ensure we all keep as safe and as informed as possible.
- As a champion, you will receive regular updates on the latest local and national Covid-19 news, through WhatsApp, e-newsletters and live webinars.
- You will have the chance to ask your questions to the experts, join focus groups, and contribute to our ever-developing music playlist
- Champions can be involved as much, or as little as they like.
By having and sharing clear information champions help the community make informed choices and help to keep Tower Hamlets safe.
Become a Covid-19 community champion
Anyone can become a Covid-19 community champion. Becoming a Covid-19 community champion is simple and quick.
- You sign up to be a champion (completion takes two minutes)
- We give champions the latest information about Covid-19 in their preferred way of receiving information (for example by email or WhatsApp)
- Champions share this information with anyone in their community, however they want.
- Champions let us know what is and isn’t working.
Information is also available in:
Sign up to become a Covid-19 community champion
You can also sign up to community champions network by telephone or email
Telephone: 020 7364 3870
Online webinars for champions
Every Tuesday at 7pm, our live webinars discuss:
- What’s new this week nationally
- What’s new locally in Tower Hamlets
- A topic of the week with a guest speaker – e.g covid testing, mental health
- A standing item on covid vaccines
- Opportunity for Champions to ask questions throughout the meeting
We’ll also ask champions how they think we can make the best use of our weekly webinar sessions and the Covid-19 community champions programme.
If you have a question you would like answered you can send them in advance to firstname.lastname@example.org
7:00 – 8:30pm weekly webinar
Join Zoom meeting
Meeting ID: 934 1068 5428
Download champion materials
We've created a Google drive with downloadable resources for our community champions to use.
We all have a part to play
Along with establishing our champions network, we know that to keep Tower Hamlets safe and ensure our borough stays resilient to the challenges of Covid-19, everyone who lives or works here has a part to play.
This is why we have made five commitments, which set out how we will continue to support our residents around Covid-19. In turn we have set out five commitments for our residents and champions. If we all follow these, together we can keep Tower Hamlets safe.
Tower Hamlets Council will:
- Keep our residents and champions informed of the latest advice and guidance.
- Deliver regular virtual engagement sessions led by health professionals who can speak about the latest advice, guidance and answer questions on Covid-19.
- Provide more testing options locally.
- Support residents who need to isolate because of Covid-19 with food and medication deliveries and provide advice for people experiencing financial difficulties.
- Provide information in community languages so everyone can access information on Covid-19.
Our residents and champions will:
- Practice good hygiene, including washing hands regularly and for at least 20 seconds.
- Keep a safe distance from other people and limit social contact in line with government and local guidance. Wear a face covering on public transport, shops and other enclosed areas.
- If you experience Covid-19 symptoms, self-isolate and book a free test through NHS Test and Trace and engage in contact tracing follow up.
- If you are identified as a close contact of someone who has tested positive for Covid-19, ensure that you follow the advice of NHS Test and Trace regarding self-isolation and/or testing
- Help inform and support friends and family, so they have the latest advice and know what they need to do to help keep Tower Hamlets safe.
Support is available
We know that this is a difficult time for many of our residents and we want to remind you that support is available. Visit our page on benefits and financial support, which also lists organisations that can help with welfare advice.
Support for residents while self-isolating is also available through the council.