Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+ Addthis

Letting or leasing your property to the council

Find tenants with Tower Hamlets 

Tower Hamlets runs a free lettings service for landlords and agents in the borough and throughout London.

We can introduce you to a good tenant who needs a home. It can help you to reduce voids and maximise rental income. We aim to create lasting tenancies that work for both landlords and tenants.

We're looking for good quality properties and landlords throughout the city, but especially in Tower Hamlets or east London. There is high demand for 2 bed properties, but we have tenants waiting for properties of all sizes.

Cash incentive

If you rent to someone at local housing allowance rate through our incentives scheme, we'll pay you a generous non-refundable cash incentive.

This is instead of a deposit or an upfront advance rent payment from the tenant.

This table shows the maximum incentives we pay (subject to funding changes).

Incentive amounts
Type of property1 year tenancy2 year tenancy
Studio £500 £1000
1 bedroom £1000 £2000
2 bedroom £2000 £4000
3 bedroom £2500 £4000
4 bedroom £3000 £4500


What sort of tenancy will it be?

The tenancy will be a normal Assured Shorthold Tenancy between you and the tenant. 

All prospective tenants put forward to you under this scheme will have been vetted.

We give free support to help you manage your property. We will also support your tenant to ensure they pay the rent and comply with the tenancy terms.

What happens if the tenacy ends within the agreed period?

If the tenancy ends within the 12/24 month period, it's expected that the property will be reoffered to the council.

This is so another tenant can be offered. 

Where a new tenancy is brokered, the council will top up the incentive up to the maximum payable for the length of the tenancy.

How do you get started? 

If your property is suitable, we will be in touch to ask you for up to date gas, electrical, and energy performance certificates (EPC). This will be for each property you let with us.

You may need to provide building insurance. If the property is an HMO, we may need a copy of the HMO licence and fire risk assessment.

Find out more about our property and landlord standards

We will also ask you for: 

  • proof of property ownership or proof of instruction to act on behalf of the landlord
  • photo ID (passport or driving licence) or photo ID of owner/director
  • landlords must provide proof of address such as utility bill from the last 3 months showing name and address
  • managing agents must provide a company registration certificate, business card or letterhead and company bank statement that shows the company name and address

Landlords need to be accredited

Information on becoming an accredited landlord can be found here: London Landlord Accreditation Scheme (LLAS). 

Managing agents should be members of an accredited regulatory body such as the Association of Residential Letting Agents (ARLA) or be certified with LLAS.  

Landlord Forum

The Tower Hamlets Landlords and Agents Forum meets twice a year. It’s a chance to meet with colleagues, competitors, and council officers.

You can discuss issues that impact on your work as landlords, letting agents, and managing agents in Tower Hamlets.

You can hear about and influence council policy and learn about the latest changes in housing law. 

If you would like to register for an invitation, please contact Una.Bedford@towerhamlets.gov.uk

Do you want to lease your property? 

The council can lease your property to  someone in housing need. In other words, your tenant is the council.

This means the rent is paid directly to you by the council each month, so you have a guaranteed income. 

Find out if you could rent your property to Tower Hamlets Council.

How long are the leases?

Our leases are on a month to month rolling head license. Either party can terminate the arrangement by serving 28 days’ notice. 

Whilst the council will try to hand the property back as soon as possible. There may be times when there will be a delay.  This can depend on on the current household's circumstances. 

There may also  be different occupiers over this period. 

An incentive for multiple supply is offered, for the latest incentive offers, contact: taprocurement@towerhamlets.gov.uk.  

How much rent will the council pay?

This is based on the Pan London rate set for each London Borough. These rates change from time to time.

For the latest details on rates, please contact taprocurment@towerhamlets.gov.uk 

Who is responsible for repairs and maintenance?

You remain responsible for repairs and maintenance. 

However, the council can pay compensation for malicious damage caused by the resident.  

For further information, please contact taprocurement@towerhamlets.gov.uk  

Compared to the cash incentive scheme, this provides a lower risk income over a longer period. 

What is the Private Licence Agreement (PLA) 

Private Licence Agreement (PLA) is where Tower Hamlets Council signs a ‘Head Licence Agreement’. It’s signed with private Landlords or Managing Agents to use residential properties on an ongoing basis.

These properties are then let by the council to homeless families that need temporary accommodation.

You will need to register with Housing Options, for details please contact: taprocurement@towerhamlets.gov.uk

Once you have registered with us, we will inspect your property.  If it meets our standards and you are accepted to our PLA scheme, the rent will be paid directly to you by the council.

The rent is guaranteed for the period that the property is occupied.  Properties offered to us should be available for a minimum of 2 years.

The agreement can be terminated with 28 days’ notice from either party.

What are the benefits of the PLA Scheme?

  • no management or hidden fees
  • no marketing costs
  • no introduction/admin fee for renting your property
  • incentive payment for multiple supply (T & Cs apply)
  • able to claim for malicious damage caused by the tenants (T & Cs apply)
  • guaranteed rent paid directly by the Council
  • no risk of rent arrears, the council pays you even if the tenants doesn’t pay us
  • no risk of housing benefit claw back
  • free council backed legal action if any repossession action is required (T & Cs apply)
  • minimal void periods