Joining the housing List
How to join the housing list
1 - Download the application form
Download the housing list application form.
If you need help or advice to completing the application form please contact the lettings team, your local housing office or one of our One Stop Shops.
2 - Return your form
If you are the tenant of a partner landlord, return your completed form to them.
Anyone else should send the completed form to the lettings team.
Albert Jacob House,
62 Roman Road,
Or take it in person to one of the Council’s One Stop Shops where you will be given a receipt.
One stop shop addresses
- 1 Rushmead, Off Bethnal Green Road, Bethnal Green, E2 6NE
- John Onslow House, 1 Ewart Place, Bow, London, E3 5EQ
- Idea Store, Watney Market, 260 Commercial Road, E1 2FB
- Chrisp Street, 15 Market Square, E14 6AQ
After submitting the form you must provide proof of:
- your identity
- your relationship to all those named on the application
- your immigration status
- the property you currently live in
- living in the borough continuously for the last three years
When we receive your application, we check your eligibility to see if you can be included on the housing list.
If you can’t join, we will write and tell you the reasons why you are not eligible, along with the details of how you can ask us to review this decision.
If you are eligible to join the housing list, we will assess the information on your application form to determine your priority on the list.
Proof of identity
For every person on the application we must see at least two of the following forms of proof of identity:
- A passport
- Driving license
Proof of address
For every person on the application we must see proof of where they currently live. This must be in the form of a utility bill (gas, electricity or water but not a mobile phone bill).
Who can join the housing list?
Normally, you can join the housing list unless:
- you have no local connection
- A local connection is defined as living in the borough continuously for three years at the time of registration
- you have a history of bad behaviour
- you earn a high salary
- a sole or joint gross income of £85,000 per year
- you are a homeowner
Every application will be considered on its own merits. We will consider all circumstances before making a decision on eligibility for the housing list.
For information about our allocations scheme please view our allocations scheme page.
Find out more about the council's partner landlords and how to contact them.
Find out about all of the self-service advice from Housing Options.
Please also see our Privacy Notice about how we handle and process your data.