Changes to parking permits

We are bringing in some changes to our parking system.  They will affect the way you apply for or renew a parking permit and apply for a visitor scratch card. We are working hard to get the new system up and running. While we are doing this, a temporary system is in place.

  • Permits that have expired after 30 September will continue to be valid until 14 days after the expiry date.
  • Temporary permits issued that expire on the 14 October will be valid until the 4 November 2019.
  • We will continue to issue parking fines for any cars parked illegally.
  • For more information, see the relevant parking permit pages.

Car free developments

What is a car-free development?

Car-free developments are homes which have been built without car parking spaces.

The idea is to reduce traffic congestion, reduce air pollution and better manage the limited amount of space available for on-street parking.

By living in a car-free development, you've agreed to certain terms. Usually, this means you can't apply for an on-street parking permit and you can only apply for a limited number of visitor scratchcards each year.

Your solicitor or landlord has responsibility for explaining this agreement to you before you purchase or rent a property in a car-free development.


Some residents are exempt from these rules. These include:

  • Blue Badge holders
  • Some residents who have been rehoused from other social housing schemes ('decantees')

Temporary parking

If you live in a car-free development you may still need a temporary space from time time (eg; for a visitor, plumber or removal van). A temporary resident permit or a visitor scratchcard could help.

Temporary resident permits
These permits allow a contractor carrying out work at your property to park at a cost of £10 a day. Download the application and terms and conditions (Word).

Visitor scratchcards
You can purchase up to thirty visitor scratchcards per year (three books of ten). Each scratchcard permits a vehicle to park for six hours. Find out more

Permit Transfer Scheme (PTPS)

The PTS helps some families to move into larger, social rented, car-free homes by allowing the family to retain one on-street resident car parking permit.

The PTS is subject to the following criteria:

1) The applicant must be living in overcrowded housing and must be moving to larger, car-free, housing provided by a registered provider or the council and which is rented at below-market-rate (excluding any rented housing falling within the intermediate housing tenure). 

2) The new property must have at least three bedrooms and must have more bedrooms than the current property.

3) The applicant must have held an on-street parking permit for at least twelve months prior to moving in to the new property. During this twelve-month period, small breaks in holding a permit are allowed, provided that they do not exceed a total of thirty days.

In the case of a homeless household who were placed in temporary accommodation outside the borough, the twelve-month period will be the twelve months prior to being placed outside the borough.

4) The applicant must provide all relevant proof that they are eligible, including the duly signed and dated, approved tenancy agreement.

5) After the move, only one on-street resident permit may be held per household. If a member of the household holds or obtains an on-street resident permit as a result of being or becoming a Blue Badge holder then the household may not hold or obtain a permit under the PTS as well.

6) In order to remain eligible under the PTS, you must renew your permit on or before the expiry date.

7) These revised criteria came into force on 2 April 2018 and revoke the original criteria.

To apply for the PTS email or write to

Permits Team
PO Box 62475
E14 1GL