Self-employed, freelancers, or gig economy workers

Self-employed, freelancers, or gig economy workers

The government's self-employment income support scheme will provide a grant to the value of 80 per cent of average historic annual profits, up to a maximum of £2,500 per month.

If you are a ‘gig-economy’ or zero hours contract worker you may be eligible for Statutory Sick Pay –  check your eligibility.

If you are not entitled to Statutory Sick Pay, you may be eligible for benefits such as the Employment Support Allowance (ESA) or Universal Credit.

ESA can be paid if you are sick, isolating according to government advice, or caring for a sick or isolating child.

ESA will be claimable from day one, rather than day eight of sickness.

ESA pays up to £73/week and is not impacted by a partner’s income, though it may be affected by a claimant’s personal pension.

Self-employed claimants on Universal Credit who are required to stay at home or are ill will not have a Minimum Income Floor (an assumed level of income) applied for a period of time while affected.

Please contact Job Centre Plus for claims for either Universal Credit or ESA.

Changes to the way freelancers and contractors are classified for tax purposes, under the IR35 or 'off payroll' reforms, have been deferred for 12 months.