Acceptable forms of identification

Acceptable forms of identification

Accepted forms of identification are set out in Schedule 1 of the Elections Act 2022. This list includes ‘an electoral identity document’ issued under section 13BD of the Act.

Voter Authority Certificate

If you do not have any of the accepted forms of ID, listed below, you will be able to apply online for a free Voter Authority Certificate – this is a photographic identity document specifically for the purpose of voting.

There will be three varieties of this ‘electoral identity document':

  1. Voter Authority Certificate (VAC)
  2. temporary Voter Authority Certificate, which the Tower Hamlets Electoral Registration Officer (ERO) will have the discretion to provide in contingency situations.
  3. an Anonymous Electors Document (AED), for use by anonymous electors only 

Registered anonymous electors will be required to apply for an AED as this will be the ONLY accepted form of voter ID for anonymous electors at polling stations.

Anonymous electors will be invited to apply for the AED in January 2023.

The Voter Authority Certificate is expected to be an A4 paper-based document, with appropriate security features, displaying

  • the elector’s name
  • photograph
  • date of issue
  • issuing local authority
  • an ‘identifier’ (i.e., an alphanumerical reference) and
  • recommended renewal date.

The deadline for applications for Voter Authority Certificates will be 5pm, 6 working days ahead of a poll. For those who apply for a Voter Authority Certificate the application service will be as follows:

  • a GOV.UK Voter Authority Certificate Service – an online application service, provided by central government on the GOV.UK website, where you can submit your application for a Voter Authority Certificate online.
  • an alternative paper application form designed by the Electoral Commission, allowing you to make your application for a Voter Authority Certificate on paper which can be posted or handed to the ERO at the Town Hall.

The online application portal will be hosted on a secure government portal with expectation that the Voter Authority Certificate Service will be launched in time for a commencement date of 16 January 2023.


If you own an accepted form of photographic ID you do not need to apply for a Voter Authority Certificate (Voter ID).

If your photographic ID document has expired it can still be used, if the photograph is still a good likeness of you.


  • a United Kingdom passport
  • a passport issued by an EEA state or Commonwealth country
  • If you do not have a passport you can apply here on this link
  • You can apply for a UK passport

Driving licence (including provisional licences)

  • a licence to drive a motor vehicle granted under 15(i) Part 3 of the Road Traffic Act 1988, or (ii) the Road Traffic (Northern Ireland) Order 1981 (SI 1981/154 (N.I. 1))
  • a driving licence issued by any of the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man, or an EEA state
  • If you have lost your driving licence you can apply for a new one

Immigration document

A biometric immigration document issued in accordance with regulations under section 5 of the UK Borders Act 2007.

Proof of Age Standards Scheme (PASS) hologram

An identity card bearing the proof of age standards scheme hologram

You can  apply for a PASS Card

Ministry of Defence Form 90 (Defence Identity Card)

Commonly known as a MOD90.

Concessionary travel passes

This list sets out all concessionary travel cards that will be accepted, to avoid any confusion amongst electors. These include:

  • An older persons travel pass (UK Government)
  • disabled persons' bus pass
  • Oyster 60+ card
  • Freedom Pass
  • National Entitlement Card (Scottish Government)
  • 60 and over Welsh Concessionary Travel Card (Welsh Government)
  • Disabled Person's Welsh Concessionary Travel Card (Welsh Government)
  • a Senior SmartPass (Northern Ireland)
  • a Registered Blind SmartPass or Blind Person’s SmartPass (Northern Ireland)
  • a War Disablement SmartPass or War Disabled SmartPass (Northern Ireland)
  • a 60+ SmartPass (Northern Ireland)
  • a Half Fare SmartPass (Northern Ireland)

Chronically sick or disabled

A badge of a form prescribed under section 21 of the Chronically Sick and Disabled Persons Act 1970 or section 14 of the Chronically Sick and Disabled Persons (Northern Ireland) Act 1978 (blue badge scheme).

Electoral documents

  • an electoral identity document issued under section 13BD (electoral identity document: Great Britain)
  • an anonymous elector’s document issued under section
  • 513BE (anonymous elector’s document: Great Britain) the holder of which has an anonymous entry at the time of the application for a ballot paper
  • an electoral identity card issued under section 13C (electoral identity card: Northern Ireland)
  • a national identity card issued by an EEA state