Taking your complaint further

If your complaint is about any Council service, and you feel we have treated you unfairly, you can complain to the Local Government Ombudsman.

The Ombudsman is an independent watchdog which makes sure that all councils act fairly and follow their own policies and procedures.

The Ombudsman will usually only consider your complaint following the Chief Executive’s review at stage 2 or (if we have not fully replied to your written complaint) within 12 weeks.

You can contact the Local Government Ombudsman at:

Local Government Ombudsman Advice Team
PO Box 4771

Telephone:  0300 061 0614 (Mon-Fri 8.30am to 5pm)
Text: 0762 480 4299
Online: Local Government Ombudsman's Online Complaint Form


If your complaint is about Housing management matters, (but not lettings) such as a tenancy, leasehold, or other housing management issue, there are two steps to taking your complaint further:

1 Designate person for local resolution

To promote complaints being resolved before involving the Ombudsman, Registered Housing Providers complaints should be addressed to a ‘designated person’. This can be your councillor, MP or a tenant panel recognised by the Council.

They will decide whether to consider the complaint and help resolve it, and they will talk to you about the issues and try to find a solution.

If they do not feel that they can resolve it, or after trying have not resolved it to your satisfaction it they may refer the complaint to the ombudsman. In any event, if 8 weeks elapse after you request to the designated person, you can go direct to the Ombudsman.

2 Housing Ombudsman

The Housing Ombudsman Service is set up by law to look at complaints about registered providers of social housing and their service is free, independent and impartial. They will expect to see that the designate person step has been taken before taking on your complaint.

Housing Ombudsman Service
81 Aldwych

Telephone 0300 111 3000
Fax 020 7831 1942

Email info@housing-ombudsman.org.uk 

Freedom of information

Under the Freedom of Information Act, you can see information we hold, with certain exceptions. If you wish to complain about any part of the Data Protection Act you should contact the Information Governance Manager on 020 7364 4354.

If you have made a request and do not think you are getting the information you are entitled to, you can make a complaint under our corporate complaints procedure. If you are still not happy at the end of this procedure, the Information Commission can help.

Information Commissioner
Wycliffe House
Water Lane

Tel:  0303 123 1113
Fax: 01625 524 510
Email: mail@ico.gsi.gov.uk

Health services

If you are not happy with the outcome of the investigation, you can ask the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman to look into it further.

The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman

Millbank Tower
London SW1P 4QP

Tel: 0345 015 4033
Email: phso.enquires@ombudsman.org.uk