Tips on uploading documents
Many of our online forms require you to upload evidence as part of the process. For example, you may need to add a copy of your current rental agreement when applying to join the housing list, or a copy of your log book when applying for a parking permit.
Many other online government services also need you to provide evidence like this.
The best format to upload documents in is a pdf. And some of our forms will only allow you to add documents in pdf or word format.
Creating electronic copies of your document
You do not need access to a scanner to get electronic copies of your documents. All you need is a smartphone or tablet with a camera.
There are a number of free apps you can download, that can turn photographs into a pdf. Two such are Adobe Scan and TapScanner (the free version).
Download Adobe Scan from:
Download Tapscanner from:
There are two ways to use them:
- take photos of each page of the document, open the app, and follow the process to turn the photos into a pdf.
- open the app and take the photos in the app, and follow the process to turn them into a pdf.
The second option is often easier.
Tips for getting the best results
- If the app you are using allows it, choose a small file size rather than the highest quality option.
- Make sure the pdf is clear and easy to read before adding it to your form:
- Wipe your lens before taking the photo
- Make sure the whole page is visible in the picture and nothing is cut out.
- In TapScanner, if your document has multiple pages:
- open the camera in the app
- then click “batch” to take photos of multiple pages in one go.
- Make sure pages are in the correct order.
- Use the editing options in the app:
- Crop the photo to the corners of the document pages.
- Then check if the filter options make it easier to read.