Animal warden service

Tower Hamlets has a team of animal wardens who deal with complaints or provide information about animal control in the borough.

The service aims to promote responsible pet ownership and enforce the council's anti-dog fouling laws.

We can help with most problems, complaints or enquiries concerning animals or put you in touch with other agencies.


We can:

  • Micro-chip your dog or cat for just £16 if you’re a Tower Hamlets’ resident
  • Deal with wild cat colonies
  • Give advice on worming and vaccinations
  • Offer reduced price neutering for dogs and cats through the Animal Neutering Clinic: 020 7987 3045
  • Give advice on dog training
  • Pick up stray dogs and try to find the owner. If we can’t trace the owner, the dogs go to Battersea Dogs Home
  • Provide solutions to dog fouling with strategies enforced by Dog Wardens. You can get clean up bags and advice on getting dog waste bins from council offices, parks buildings or your neighbourhood housing office
  • Investigate complaints about regular dog fouling in your area
  • Investigate complaints about nuisance caused by animals, like smells or barking dogs

The borough has designated all the land in its streets, parks and housing estates under the Dogs (Fouling of Land) Act 1996, which makes it an offence if you don't immediately clear up mess left by your dog.

Tower Hamlets has run several hard-hitting publicity campaigns to crack down on dog fouling and encourage owners to comply with the law. It also encourages members of the public to provide information about when and where regular dog fouling occurs, so patrols can target those areas

We will neuter any bull terrier type dogs (male or female) belonging to residents of the London Borough of Tower Hamlets free of charge.  This is to try to reduce the number of this type of dog in the borough.