Did you know you may be eligible for a FREE Healthy Start Card with money to spend on milk and healthy food if you are on certain benefits?
The value could be over £1,000 per child over their lifetime, if claimed from pregnancy to the child’s 4th birthday.
Received a letter to sign up to Healthy Start online?
Healthy Start has gone digital and vouchers are being replaced by a prepaid card (like your bank card) to make it easier to use.
What is Healthy Start?
If you’re more than 10 weeks pregnant or have a child under 4, you could get help to buy healthy food and milk.
Items like fresh, tinned or frozen fruit, vegetables and pulses such as lentils and beans, cow’s milk and infant formula.
If you’re eligible, you’ll be sent a Healthy Start card with money on it that you can use in some UK shops. We’ll add your Healthy Start money onto this card every four weeks.
You can also use your card to collect Healthy Start vitamins for pregnant and breastfeeding women and children from birth to 4 years old.
What do you get?
You’ll get money added onto your card every four weeks to spend on certain food and milk.
- £8.50 per week for each baby under the age of 1
- £4.25 per week for each child aged between 1 and 3
- Plus £4.25 per week if you are pregnant (from week 10)
- Free vitamins.
Who is eligible for the Healthy Start scheme?
You qualify for Healthy Start if you or your family get:
- Income support or
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance or
- Child Tax Credit
with a family income of £16,190 or less per year
- Pension Credit or
- Universal Credit with no earned income or total earned income of less than £408 per month for the family. You can find this in your Universal Credit award notice under “your take home pay for this month”
- you’re at least 10 weeks pregnant or
- you have at least one child under 4 or
- You must also get Child Tax Credit
with a household income of £16,190 or less
If you are under 18 and pregnant, you will qualify even if you don’t get any benefits.
Where can you use your Healthy Start Card?
Healthy start can be used anywhere that sells fruit, veg and milk and accepts card payments.
How to apply for Healthy Start
With Healthy Start you can also get free vitamins, specifically designed for pregnant and breastfeeding women and growing children
- Children will receive vitamin A, C and D in liquid form.
- Women will receive Vitamin C, D and folic acid in tablet form.
Apply for the Healthy Start Scheme today!
Get in touch
Children’s and Family Centre
Tel: 020 7364 6495 (Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm)
Website: Healthy Start
Tel: 0300 330 7010
Help available through the council
Tower Hamlets Resident Support Outreach Team
Do you need help to claim Universal Credit or any welfare assistance? To book an appointment, please contact LBTHResidentsupport@towerhamlets.gov.uk
Tower Hamlets Financial Support Team
Are you a private rented tenant in Tower Hamlets with rent or council tax arrears? Our friendly Financial Support Team can do a free Financial Health check for you.
To book an appointment please call 020 7364 3680 or 020 7364 4080. You can also email us at LBTHFinancialsupport@towerhamlets.gov.uk.
The Local Offer
The Local Offer is an online resource that is available to everyone. This online resource outlines information on services for families in Tower Hamlets in one central place.