Before World War II the area was covered by 19th century housing. The area was extensively bombed in the war, with a quarter of the buildings destroyed or damaged.
In July 1945 the area that is now the park was included in the London County Council's first post-war redevelopment programme. The area was laid out as a recreation ground in the 1950’s and the park was opened in 1961. The park was named after Philip M. Bartlett, vicar of St Saviour's Church for 39 years.
The park serves the Lansbury Estate, named after George Lansbury. Lansbury was the leader of the Poplar Councillors Rates Revolt of 1921 and leader of the Labour Party from 1931 to 1935
The Limehouse Cut, which runs next to the park, links the Lee Navigation to the River Thames. It opened in 1770 and is the oldest canal in London.
Extensive refurbishment and improvements to the park were completed in 2020.
The park was awarded a Green Flag in 2022.
images Levitt Bernstein
- Fully inclusive playground for children and young people aged 5 – 25 (SEND)
- Grass football pitch (changing rooms available)
- Outdoor gym
- Canalside walkway
- Dog walk area
- Garden and meadow areas
- Heritage and nature information panels
- The park is adjacent to Poplar Union Arts & Community Centre where there is a café open every day 8am – 4pm
- Size: 4.95 hectares
Location: Lindfield Street, London, E14
Nearest stations: Westferry DLR and All Saints DLR
Buses: 309, 15, 115, D6
Before you travel please visit TFL for directions and maps.