Non-dependant deductions

Adults who live with a person claiming Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction (other than the claimants partner) known as “non dependants” the following deductions will be made from their Housing Benefit.

Separate deductions are applied to both Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction and the amount deducted depends on the non-dependant’s income.

The non-dependant deductions to be applied to Housing Benefit are shown in the table below:

 Weekly gross income £ per week
 £451 or more   100.65 
 between £363 and £450.99   91.70 
 between £272 and £362.99   80.55 
 between £209 and £271.99   49.20 
 between £143 and £208.99   35.85 
 under £143   15.60 
 other circumstances where a deduction is made   15.60 


 No deduction made  £ per week 
 aged under 25 and on income support or income-based jobseeker's allowance  Nil
 aged under 25 and on income-related employment and support allowance (assessment phase)   Nil
 aged under 25, on universal credit and with no earned income   Nil
 aged under 18   Nil
 in receipt of pension credit   Nil
 in hospital for 52 weeks or more   Nil
 in prison   Nil
 receives a youth training allowance   Nil


 There is no deduction for non-dependants when the claimant or their partner is either:

  • registered blind or
  • gets Attendance Allowance or
  • gets the care component of Disability Living Allowance /Personal Independence Payment for themselves or their partner