Waste service strike

A number of Tower Hamlets Council frontline waste service workers and street cleansers will be going on strike from 18 September to 1 October due to a national pay dispute.  

Despite the council working to maintain services for residents, the strike will impact collections and cleansing across the borough. We apologise in advance for the disruption this will cause. 

Residents can take their waste to the Reuse and Recycling Centre on Yabsley Street, which is operating as normal.

Find out more about the strike.

Special educational needs and disabilities (SEND)

SEND child on adapted bus


The council is responsible for carrying out statutory assessments and issuing and maintaining education and health care plans (EHCP). An EHCP describes a child’s difficulties and specifies the provision needed to meet their needs.

Read more about assessments.

Home to school transport for children with SEND

The council can provide information on the transport services available for children with special needs when travelling to and from home to school and on the guidelines regarding eligibility for this service.

Disabled students

The student finance section at Tower Hamlets works in partnership with the Student Loan Company under the banner of Student Finance Direct to provide financial support for eligible disabled students taking higher education courses.

Read more about student awards.

You can also get further information from the Parents Advice Centre.