Schools library service
Tower Hamlets schools library service aims to
- To provide schools with a wide range of high quality learning resources that reflect our multicultural and diverse community in a balanced and accurate way, as an efficient, cost-effective way for schools to resource the National Curriculum, primary frameworks and secondary strategies and to promote the enjoyment of reading.
- To provide professional advice and training on the management and organisation of learning resources in schools.
- To provide the services of a professional librarian to manage the school library on a regular basis.
- To enrich the curriculum through global learning and pupil participation, helping young people make the connection between the local and the global.
Schools and organisations in Tower Hamlets and neighbouring boroughs can subscribe to the Schools Library Service. Visit our website for a full, up-to-date list of services and resources for loan.
We can also provide the services of a professional librarian to work in school on a regular basis. Depending on the amount of time purchased per year, a professional librarian will:
- develop information skills teaching in the school
- promote enjoyment of, and excitement about reading
- raise awareness in school of national reading activities and promotions
- manage, maintain and promote the school library and teacher resources
- identify and buy quality resources for the school library and classroom libraries
- select resources from the schools library services
- a library of books
- dual language resources
- historical, world and religious artefacts and costumes
- picture packs
- book and play sets
- big books
- multi-sensory books
- book/CD packs
- DVDs, CDs, CD-ROMs, videos
- musical instruments
- story puppets, story sacks and story tents
- science artefacts and boxes
- skeletons and body parts
- a professional development library of teacher resources, professional books and journals
- a regularly updated website with new book announcements, themed booklists and facility to search the library catalogue and check your own ticket, as well as information on current events, news and training
Resources are delivered to school within a week and collected at the end of term.
- The Tower Hamlets Book Award
- Author, illustrator and storyteller visits
- Tower Hamlets Creative Writing Competition
- Poetry slams
- National Book Award shadowing
Opening hours during term time
Monday, 10am to 6pm
Tuesday, 10am to 6pm
Wednesday, 10am to 6pm
Thursday, 10am to 6pm
Friday, 10am to 4pm
Humanities education centre
The centre provides training that promotes the values, aims and principles of development education and global citizenship to schools, nurseries and playgroups in Tower Hamlets, Hackney and Newham.
Training sessions include:
- global citizenship
- children’s rights and school councils
- ICT including digital video, animation and web page development
- open spaces for dialogue and enquiry (OSDE)
- philosophy for children
- bringing the global dimension to speaking, listening, writing, literacy, numeracy and science.