Supporting people programme

Every year thousands of people, regardless of their background, need help to live more independently, either in their own home, or in supported accommodation.

This help is called housing-related support and there are a number of organisations in Tower Hamlets providing housing-related support services.

In Tower Hamlets we spent £15 million in 2009/10 supporting over 5510 vulnerable people into 122 services delivered by 30 support providers.

People who use these services include

  • homeless people
  • older people
  • people with physical disabilities or learning difficulties
  • people fleeing domestic violence
  • young parents
  • people with mental health problems
  • people with substance misuse problems
  • ex-offenders
  • refugees
  • young and vulnerable people.

About the Supporting People programme

The Supporting People programme buys, funds and monitors housing-related support services making sure that they are of good quality and meet the needs of the people receiving them.

The main purpose of ‘housing-related support’ is to develop and maintain a person's ability to live independently, either in their own home or in supported accommodation.

This can include:

  • Helping someone to get their correct benefits
  • Helping someone to learn to budget properly for rent and bills
  • Helping someone to access a GP or dentist
  • Helping someone to get on a training or education course
  • Helping someone to get a community alarm service
  • Helping someone to improve their social network

Most people access supporting people services by being referred by social care services, health services, housing providers, outreach services or local advice services.

If you are not in contact with any of these services and wish to find out more you can contact the Supporting People Team. 

If you wish to apply for support your needs will be assessed by a support provider. They will tell you if you are eligible for a service, what support can be offered, and when it can be made available to you.

More information about supporting people in Tower Hamlets:

The vulnerable adults commissioning team is accountable to the Department for Communities and Local Government (DCLG). Further information on DCLG is available on the Communities and Local Government website.

Floating support

Floating support is a flexible service that adapts to meet individual needs. For example if you were living in your own home with no support but felt you were at risk of losing your home or not managing with daily life then a floating support worker could visit you each week in your home.

The support worker could help with tasks such as sorting out bills, speaking to your landlord and accessing other services such as healthcare and entitlement to welfare benefits. It can also provide practical, social and emotional support.

Floating support works by ensuring that problems are identified and resolved, and then at the right time, 'floats off' to work with other residents who need support.

Please check THFSs support leaflet for further information and download the referral form.

How to contact Tower Hamlets Floating Support


Tel: 020 3222 4027
Fax: 020 7515 6313

Choice and control for people accessing support services

The government has set local authorities a challenging agenda to transform adult social care to deliver personalised services that are tailored to meet the needs and preferences of residents.

This should enable people to live their own lives as they wish, confident that services are of high quality, are safe and promote their own individual needs for independence, well being and dignity.

Housing and support services in Tower Hamlets are changing to be more closely modelled around what people want.

Support providers are starting to have a different relationship with people who use services and greater consideration is being given to individuals who may wish to pay more for a better quality service.

Increasing numbers of people will have a personal budget or funding for resources to allow them to buy their own services.

A number of housing providers have tested how personalisation fits with models of specialist housing.

It is possible to develop a core service offer and then a menu of options which are available for purchase, using public or private funding, either in house or from another source. People may also want to buy services jointly.


All people who work with vulnerable adults have a duty to protect them from abuse and to report all incidents, concerns or suspicions of abuse or neglect.

All statutory, voluntary and private agencies should be committed to ensuring that people who are victims of abuse will receive support and protection from further abuse.

When concerns, allegations or incidents come to light, it must be reported and “staff” must ensure that the alleged “victim” is safe. This may involve the emergency services if the victim has been injured.

Discussions will then take place between the relevant agencies to decide on the most appropriate support and protection. All reports of abuse are closely monitored by the Safeguarding Adults Team to ensure that procedures are followed.


  • If you are unsure report it!
  • The expert will help
  • The abuser may be a family member, friend, medical or social care professional, carer, another resident or anyone else.

Access more information on safeguarding.

Contact us

Tel: 020 7364 7021