Private sector housing grants

The private housing improvement team deals with grants relating to adaptations for disabled occupants, removal of minor hazards in the home, home security and energy efficiency.

There are also grants for landlords to bring empty properties back into use or convert redundant commercial property to residential use. 

We offer a range of grants and loans and the services of the Tower Hamlets Home Improvement Agency, which was set up by the council to help elderly, disabled or low-income homeowners and private tenants to apply for grants and loans. This financial assistance is for improving or repairing domestic properties or to carry out adaptations to enable you to remain safe and independent in your own home.

Qualifying criteria varies between schemes so please check the details for each grant:

  • disabled facilities grants – available to owner-occupiers, private tenants and landlords
  • empty property grants - available to private individuals, private landlords (including registered social landlords) who own an empty property and need to refurbish, demolish and rebuild or convert their property to a number of units and then let the property
  • landlord improvement grants - available to landlords who meet specific criteria  
  • Home repair grants - Small grants may be made available to eligible owner-occupiers to enable them to remain in their own homes safely and avoid minor accidents.

Read the Tower Hamlets Private sector housing renewal and empty properties policy framework.

Related services