Dropped kerbs and vehicle crossovers

To ensure vehicle crossovers are properly constructed, all dropped kerbs and vehicle crossovers will be built by the council as the appropriate Highways Authority. We will deal with the provision of estimates and must receive payment before any work is carried out.

How to apply

Apply for a dropped kerb 


Public Realm

Tower Hamlets Town Hall
160 Whitechapel Road
E1 1BJ

You will need to make an appointment for a site visit by a highways engineer, who will check the viability of the proposal.

If it is approved, approved, we will give you a written estimate for construction. This amount must be paid for before any work is carried out.

Legal considerations

When planning permission is required from the council, the applicant must provide proof of consent from the legal owner of the property at the time of application if the property involved

  • is the frontage directly on to a classified road
  • is it a listed building
  • is anything other than a house for a single family, for example, a flat, maisonette, commercial or industrial premises.

If it appears that your property comes under one of these  classifications and planning permission is required, you should contact the council using the planning permission information.

Important notice

The construction of a vehicle crossover by the council does not give the occupier of the premises any particular rights, except to drive across the footway to gain access to his/her property with a private or light goods motor car; the crossover itself is part of the public highway. From the date we accept the completed crossover, we will assume responsibility for its maintenance at no cost to the occupier, apart from any damage caused by illegal use by heavy vehicles.

If you decide to go ahead with the construction you must remove the fence, wall or hedge within the property at the place where the crossover will be located before construction can take place.


The following is a list of conditions relevant to the construction and the use of a domestic vehicle crossover after it has been completed.

Permitted types of vehicles

A domestic vehicle crossover may only be used by a private light goods or similar vehicle. It may not be used by heavy goods vehicles or mechanical equipment. If a delivery, such as a skip, is made into the property and in doing so the delivery damages the crossover, any repairs will be carried out by the council and costs will be recovered from the occupier.

Size of the crossover

The maximum width of a domestic crossover is three metres at the back of the public footway.

Parking within your property

Your application will not be approved unless you are able to provide a suitable parking area within your property, this must be at least 5 metres long, measured from the front of your house to the boundary of your property and three metres wide. There must be enough space around this area for pedestrian access.

The highway engineer’s decision as to whether the application will be approved or refused is final.

No part of a vehicle parked within your property may project on to or over the highway. The crossover may not be used as a parking area and no part of it is to be used for the purpose of footway parking.


The parking area within your property must be built so that water does not drain from it across the footway. Suitable drainage must be provided within the boundaries of your property.

Standard finish

The standard finish for domestic crossovers is stone paving or concrete. The finish applicable in any particular case will be specified by the highways engineer when you apply for an estimate.

Street furniture

Where applicants have removed more of the wall or fence running along the boundary than is required by the size of the crossover, it should be understood that an item of street furniture, for example, lamp post, telegraph pole, traffic sign, may be erected at any time in the footway outside the area of a crossover, even though this may obstruct an area where there is no wall or similar feature.

Obstacles to construction

If the proposed position of the access is obstructed by a road sign, lamp post, or tree, the location of the crossover should be altered to avoid the obstacle. If this is not feasible, a decision will be made by the relevant section regarding the possible removal or relocation of the item. The full cost of this would be payable by the applicant.

If a statutory authority is required to carry out work by relocating a fire hydrant or telegraph pole, any charges for such work will be the responsibility of the applicant, who will be required to produce written proof of approval by the authority to a highways engineer before a crossover can be built.

Alterations to your vehicle crossover

Wemay need to alter the layout of your vehicle crossover at any time, due to modifications in the footway or verge. In these circumstances every effort will be made to maintain access to your property, and the occupier of premises so affected will be given adequate notice of such works.


Any application for the construction of a domestic crossover may be refused or modified on the grounds of safety. The applicant must ensure that adequate sight lines are maintained to allow safe access to their property.

Gates across vehicle entrance

Gates fitted across the vehicle entrance to your property may in no circumstances open outwards across the footpath or carriageway (Highways Act 1980 - Section 153).