Introduction of one hour of free parking near our markets

From 1 February 2023, customers can take advantage of a one-hour free parking session for their vehicle near our markets.

To take advantage of this offer, you need to register a free parking session using the RingGo app or the phone number advertised on local signage.
Drivers can only book one free market session per day. If you wish to stay longer than one hour, you can pay to extend your stay.

Street trading licence

To operate a market stall, you will need a street trading licence. We operate two types of street trading licences: temporary and permanent. 

You may be able to apply for a temporary licence and trade on a casual basis until you qualify for a permanent licence. An offer of a permanent licence will be based purely on a priority point system.

We issue street trading licences to named individuals to sell on the markets.

To determine the type of licence to apply for, you should contact the Market Service direct before making an application.

Applying for a street trading licence

The application fee for both temporary and permanent licences is £90.

We need the following documentation in addition to your application:

  • valid passport
  • valid public liability insurance
  • two passport size photographs
  • proof of name and address. We accept any of the following:
    • Valid UK driving license
    • Recent utility bill (gas, electricity, water or landline phone)
    • Council tax bill
    • Recent credit card or bank statement
    • Recent Building Society or Credit Union statement
    • Tenancy agreement

Please email all details to

As the application fee is non-refundable, please do not apply before contacting us.

Temporary licence

Once you have your registration card, pre-payments for temporary trading are made by contacting us:

Tel: 0207 364 1717 (Monday to Friday 9.30am to 4.30pm)

Provide your:

  • name
  • registration number
  • mobile number
  • market and dates of trading, and a member of the team will call back for payment.

To be allocated a pitch on the day, you will need to show the Market Officer, your registration card, receipt of payment and public liability insurance on a Smart Phone.

Permanent licence

When you complete the application form please:

  • indicate preferred market, preference of working days, commodity and number of pitches required.
  • return your application form to Market Services and wait for an offer letter which will be sent to you by post, within 14 days of receipt of application

If you wish to accept the offer of a licence you will need to complete the offer application form and return personally to the markets office with the £90 application fee. Debit/Credit card payments will be accepted at Market Services, 131 Commercial Street, London E1 6BJ.

A permanent licence card will be dispatched within 14 days detailing commencement trading date. You must comply with any conditions attached to the licence.

Permanent licenses are required to be renewed every three years.

Licence conditions

You must be over 17 years of age to hold a licence.

Licences will be refused if any of the following grounds exist:

  • there isn't enough space in the street you wish to trade in, without causing interference or inconvenience to street users
  • you are unsuitable to hold a licence due to any previous convictions or for other reasons
  • you have previously failed to pay fees due under another street trading licence or have failed to use a previous street trading licence.

You cannot hold a street trading licence for another authority on an identical day of trading.

These licenses are issued under the London Local Authorities Act 1990. See a summary of the regulation relating to this licence

Hot/high risk food

We are now able to take new expressions of interest to sell hot food in the borough’s markets. Please email:

To sell hot/high risk food, there are several extra restrictions in place on a street trading licence. You must comply with the relevant Food Safety Legislation and the following criteria:

  • have a basic food hygiene/Level 2 certificate, or relevant experience of food preparation
  • have completed a Safer Food Better Business (SFBB) pack or equivalent (HACCP type system).  SFBB packs can be ordered free from the Food Standards Agency on 0845 606 0667 or they can be collected from Anchorage House, 5 Clove Crescent, London E14.
  • submit completed food registration forms. Food registration forms can be obtained from Market Services, 131 Commercial Street, E1 6BJ or Tower Hamlets Council’s Environmental Health department. Every food operator is required to register the food business with the local authorities (both Tower Hamlets and the one where food is pre-pared/stored before it reaches the market).
  • trailers/food stalls must have suitable wash hand facilities, i.e. hot water, bowl, soap and towels
  • trailers/food stalls must have a temperature probe to ensure the correct temperatures are maintained.

We will inspect your trailer/set up to clarify the dimensions. In addition, you will be invited in for an interview to ensure all the requirements are fulfilled.

Evaluation process

Within 21days we will either grant the application or you will receive written notification of the outcome of your application. Food traders must conform to requirements set by Market Services and Environmental Health.

A licence cannot be issued unless you supply all the requested documentation.

If you haven’t heard from us within 5 working days, please contact us. Please note that we must process your application before it can be granted. You can contact us


Tel: 020 7364 1717 


To get an application form please

  • come and see us at our contact address, or 
  • contact us and ask for an application form to be posted to you.

Tel: 020 7364 1717



If your application is refused or you have a complaint regarding a failed licence please contact Tower Hamlets Market Service, email telephone no. 020 7364 1717

Consumer complaints

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form of a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Citizens Advice will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Contact us

Market Services
131 Commercial Street 
London E1 6BJ

Opening hours: Monday to Friday - 10am to 2pm


Further information