We have naturalised over 35,000 new citizens and we have great pleasure in welcoming people officially into our British Family. Please only email us if your enquiry is urgent and your query isn't answered on this page. Reduced resources and increased demand means we may take longer than usual to respond.
Although you have 6 months from when we receive your certificate to attend a ceremony (please ignore the Home Office advice of 6 weeks for now), we actively encourage all our new citizens to book a ceremony as soon as they receive their official invitaion from the Home Office.
On completion of a ceremony your certificate can only be sent to the address provided to us by the Home Office or collected from our office in Shadwell. If you did not have this changed and you have moved, you can ask to collect your certificate instead. We send all citizenship certificates via special delivery free of charge or you can collect from our office the next day.
We are aware that it can be confusing so please note the process which applies to most applications:
- The Home Office notifies you via post or email of a successful application. This is your decision letter, which advises you not to contact a register office. Please do not contact us if you have only received this letter.
- The Home Office, a number of weeks later, sends your certificate to The Register Office. We then process this onto our database and you can then book a ceremony online.
- The Home Office, within a week of sending us the certificates, notifies you that you are to attend a citizenship ceremony. This is the Home Office invitation letter/email. It will ask you to contact us. Before doing so, please note the following:
- The date on the letter/email is often two weeks before you receive it. Do not worry.
- You have six months to attend a ceremony during the pandemic.
- You do not need to contact us regarding you ceremony- you can book directly online
- This letter is now more often an email directly from the Home Office advising you to book your ceremony.
Group ceremonies take place with 30-40 people at our new venue St Georges Town Hall, Shadwell.
You can bring two guests to most of our group ceremonies.
No children under the age of 8 will be permitted into the ceremony. Please arrange childcare for your ceremony as we cannot allow children into the ceremony room unless they have a booking to attend a ceremony to collect a certificate.
Book a Group Ceremony
Virtual private ceremonies
We continue to offer virtual private ceremonies for a fee, which allows for a quicker ceremony much sooner.
You may also share the link with your friends and family who may join in the celebration with you. Private ceremonies will also have a longer welcome and a more ceremonial atmosphere should you chose.
You must be physically present in the UK in order to have a virtual ceremony.
Your certificate can only be sent to the address provided to us by the Home Office. If you did not have this changed and you have moved, you can ask to collect your certificate instead.
Book a Virtual Private Ceremony
All certificates received after August 2020 will be valid for six months after Tower Hamlets Register Office receives them until further notice.
You must be physically present in the UK in order to have a virtual ceremony
Our ceremonies, including payment of fees, are covered by our terms and conditions.
If you are unable to attend a ceremony in Tower Hamlets before this time, please contact the Home Office.
If you have a query not answered here, please email us.