Copies of certificates
Copy certificates online
If you have had a religious ceremony in Tower Hamlets, you will need to order a copy of your marriage certificate by accessing the 'order a copy certificate' link. All copy certificates are made via our online portal UNLESS you receive an error.
Please read the following before continuing.
- All standard requests are processed within five working days. Priority requests received before 4pm are processed before 4pm the next working day. We process requests Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday each week (except bank holidays).
- You will be notified via email when your certificate is ready for collection or sent out for delivery.
- Certificates will be sent folded in A5 envelopes. If you would like them in A4 hardbacked envelopes, you will be required to pay for special delivery, which will allow you to be refunded if they do not arrive but also track the location as they are being posted. Please see our fees page for information on costs.
Please ignore the confirmation email which suggest you can collect the same day. This is not true and we are fixing this. It is five days for a standard order and you will be notified when ready.
Order a copy certificate
If you get an error with the online form, please email our team with your:
- telephone number
- reason for search
- relationship to the person on the certificate and
- as many details on the certificate as possible.
You may be asked to fill in a form. A fee will then be collected over the telephone before processing your request.
Certificates are sent out via standard postage for free. If the certificate goes missing in the post, you will need to pay for a new one. We also offer tracked and international postage.
Please visit our fees page for information on costs and our terms and conditions page for information on refunds.
Payment for certificates must be made at the time of the request according to the fees set out on our fees page.
Refunds will not be issued if your certificate is lost in standard post or if the details do not match what you expect.
We will only issue refunds if we are unable to find your requested entry but from 1 August 2021, there will be an administrative search fee on all applications where we are unable to find the required entry.