Copies of certificates
Copy certificates online
Update 19 August 2021
Due to staff illness with Covid-19, please send all copy certificate applications to GRO until further notice. We are sorry for any inconvenience caused and hope to offer this service again within a few weeks.
From 30 July 2021 we are moving to requesting copy certificates online. From this date we request all copy certificates are made via our online portal UNLESS you receive an error.
Please read the following before continuing.
- All standard requests are processed within five working days. Priority requests received before 4pm are processed before 4pm the next working day. We process requests Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday each week (except bank holidays). Please ignore the confirmation email which suggest you may collect the same day. This is not true and we are fixing this.
- You will be notified via email when your certificate is ready for collection or sent out for delivery.
- No priority requests may currently be made online through our portal. If you would like to make a priority request, please make a standard request then email our team to let them know you'd like to make the request a priority.
- If you require special delivery, please select standard and let our team know via a follow up email as the system does not currently allow this to be selected successfully online.
- Certificates will be sent folded in A5 envelopes. If you would like them in A4 hardbacked envelopes, you will be required to pay for special delivery, which will allow you to be refunded if they do not arrive but also track the location as they are being posted. Please see our fees page for information on costs.
If you encounter an error with the online form, please email our team with your:
- telephone number
- reason for search
- relationship to the person on the certificate and
- as many details on the certificate as possible.
You may be asked to fill in a form. A fee will then be collected over the telephone before processing your request.
Certificates are sent out via standard postage for free. If the certificate goes missing in the post, you will need to pay for a new one. We also offer tracked and international postage.
Please visit our fees page for information on costs and our terms and conditions page for information on refunds.
Payment for certificates must be made at the time of the request according to the fees set out on our fees page.
Refunds will not be issued if your certificate is lost in standard post or if the details do not match what you expect.
We will only issue refunds if we are unable to find your requested entry but from 1 August 2021, there will be an administrative search fee on all applications where we are unable to find the required entry.