Notice of Marriage and Civil Partnerships

When to give notice

This is a legal requirement which must be completed at least 29 days prior to the ceremony. In certain cases, depending on your immigration status, this may be extended to 71 days. Therefore, we advise that whenever possible you give notice at least three-six months prior to your ceremony.

You can only give notice after you've finalised your date and location. A notice of marriage is valid only for the venue named on the notice. While it may be possible to alter the date of your marriage, a change of location would require a fresh notice and fee. So make sure that you have selected and checked availability both the venue for your ceremony and registrars before placing your notices of marriage.

Ensure you know the difference between a marriage and civil partnership when making a booking. Please ensure you read all of the requirments on the government's official website before booking.

What to bring

  • Both of your passports.

  • An interpreter over the age of 18 with identification, if you need one
  • 2 original proofs of address each (joint statements can only be accepted for one person)- this must be:

    • Your most recent council tax statement (within the last 12 months- both parties cannot use the same statement)
    • A utility bill from the last three months (not any kind of phone or broadband bill- both parties cannot use the same bill)
    • An individual bank statement (within the last month)
    • An individual mortgage statement (within the last year)
    • A valid driving licence.

We request 2 proofs to ensure the best chance of your appointment being successful, but only 1 acceptable document is required by law.

If you or your partner is from outside the EU, EEA or from Switzerland (ie: a "non-relevant national"), you will also need to bring:

  • a passport sized photo for each of you (even if only one of you is from outside the EU, EEA or from Switzerland)

  • proof of your current immigration status (for example, your visa)

  • a translation of any documents that are not in English

Original documents

Please make sure all documents are original and not photocopies. If you bank online, we can accept a printed statement. All evidence must be paper based as the exact document may need to be presented in a court of law. We will not accept any electronic-based evidence. We cannot print evidence for you. Failure to bring this documents is a breach of our terms and conditions and you will need to re-book and pay another fee.

If you've ever been divorced, widowed or changed your name


If you've ever been divorced, widowed or changed your name, you will also need the relevant documentation, in English, for each of these events:

  • a decree absolute or final order

  • your former partner’s death certificate

  • You also need to bring proof of your divorce, annulment or dissolution if it was granted outside of the UK, Channel Islands or Isle of Man. There is a fee to check foreign divorces.

If either of you is under 18 at the time of giving notice, you must provide your full birth certificate, with a signed and dated third party translation provided if the document is not in English. Parental consent must be provided in the form of a letter or a Form 55 completed by all relevant parties.

Relevant and Non-relevant nationals

From the 1 July 2021 there are changes which those giving notice should be aware of.

  • The type of notice you give is dependent on whether you are a relevant national or non-relevant national. A relevant national is somebody who is a British or Irish national or an EU national with settled or pre-settled status (granted or pending before 30 June 2021).

  • Relevant nationals must attend a register office in the district where they live - if you live in separate districts, you must each attend your own local district. Non-relevant nationals must attend together in a register office in the district in which at least one resides.

  • If you are an EU national with settled or pre-settled status, from 1 July 2021 you must bring a valid unique six digit code to your appointment via the government portal. You must bring this valid code to your appointment. Failure to do so may mean you have to pay for a rescheduled notice appointment.

Making a booking

Please ensure you have read and understood all of the above before making a booking as your notice booking fee is non-refundable in most case.

Make an appointment for Notice of Marriage



Make an appointment for Notice of Civil Partnership



Other Information

We are an appointment only service so please check read the information on opening hours and access.

You have to be over 18 to form a marraige or civil partnership in the United Kingdom.