Changes to Council Tax Benefit from April 2011 affecting claimants who have other adults living with them

From April 2011 there will be important changes for people getting Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit who have adults, other than their partner, living with them. Adults who live with a person claiming Housing or Council Tax Benefit are known as “non dependants”.

Deductions are usually made from a claimant’s Housing and Council Tax Benefit if non dependants live with them.

Separate deductions are applied to both Housing and Council Tax Benefit. The amount deducted depends on the non dependant’s income.

Because of Government changes these deductions will increase steeply from April 2011. This means tenants whose Council Tax Benefit is reduced because non dependants live with them, will get less Benefit from April 2011 and so, will have to pay more towards their Council Tax.

The non dependant deductions to be currently applied to Council Tax Benefit are shown in the table below:

Non-dependants circumstances

April 2015

April 2016

In receipt of state Pension Credit or in receipt of Income Support, Jobseekers Allowance (Income based), or Employment Support Allowance (Income Related)



Aged 18 or over and in remunerative work



Gross income greater than £420.00



Gross income not less than £338.00 but less than £420.00



Gross income not less than £195.00 but less an £338.00



Gross income less than £195.00



Others aged 18 or over



There is no deduction for non dependants when the claimant or their partner is either:

  • registered blind or
  • gets attendance allowance or the care component of Disability Living Allowance for themselves or their partner

If you require any information on these changes and how they affect your Housing and Council Tax Benefit you can call Tower Hamlets Benefits Service direct on 020 7364 7453 or email us at