Individual Electoral registration

The quickest and easiest way to register is to complete a form online:

  • visit
  • fill in your name, address, date of birth, nationality, national insurance number. Your national insurance number can be found on your National Insurance card or in official paperwork such as payslips or letters about benefits or tax credits - (find a lost national insurance number or apply for a national insurance number).
  • when your information is verified, we will send you an acknowledgment letter. However, where an entry did not match other national databases, it is the duty of the ERO to request further evidence to support the registration. We are legally bound to follow new procedures as set out in the Electoral Registration and Administration Act 2013.

No access to the internet? You can ring the office on 020 7364 5000 and provide the information over the telephone or we can send you an application through the post.

Who can register

In order to be included in the Tower Hamlets Register of Electors, you must be:

  • 17 years old (you must be at least 18 years of age to vote on polling day)
  • a British, Irish, Commonwealth citizen or a citizen of the European Union member state residing in Tower Hamlets. Please download the list of eligible countries.
  • a British citizen based overseas, a Crown servant, British Council employee or a member of the armed forces you can. Find out more information on how to register.
  • If you are homeless or have no fixed address (this would include guardian of commercial properties), a person in a mental health hospital or a person remanded in custody, you can still register to vote. To register, you need to complete the declaration of local connection form. Please contact the electoral office for a form.
  • Students living away from home may register to vote at both their term time and home address. A student who has a permanent home address and a term-time address can be lawfully registered at both addresses. If an elector is registered to vote in two different electoral areas, they are eligible to vote in local elections for the two different local councils. However, it is an offence to vote twice in any one election.

Your personal information

We will only use the information you give us for electoral purposes. We will look after personal information securely and we will follow the Data Protection Act 1998 and more recently the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). We will not give personal information about you and the other people in your household to anyone else or another organisation unless we have to by law.

Read the electoral services privacy notice for more information.

Confirmation of registration

If you require confirmation that your name appears on the current Register of Electors, please contact the office on 020 7364 5000 or email and make a request.

Answers to frequently asked questions

What is Individual Electoral Registration (IER)?

How is the new system different?

There are two registers. Why?

How do I get included or removed from the open register?

How do I change my name on the electoral register?

How do I change my address on the electoral register?

Can I register in more than one place?

What happens if I don’t register?

What is Individual Electoral Registration?

Individual Electoral Registration (IER) is a new system of registration which was introduced in June 2014 to ensure greater confidence as to the identity of electors and improved access to the registration process. Individual Electoral Registration means that each person is now responsible for their own registration; one person can no longer register on behalf of the household.

How is the new system different?

  • Under the new system you need to provide a few more details to register including your national insurance number and date of birth. This makes the electoral register more secure.
  • You can now register online at
  • Everyone is responsible for their own registration.

The details you provide are then checked against government records for verification before you can be added to the register. Once a person is registered under IER their registration is continuous until they move to a different address or for any reason are no longer eligible to remain registered as an elector.

There are two registers. Why?

Using information received from the public, registration officers keep two registers – the electoral register and the open register (also known as the edited register).

The electoral register lists the names and addresses of everyone who is registered to vote in public elections. The register is used for electoral purposes, such as making sure only eligible people can vote. It is also used for other limited purposes specified in law, such as detecting crime (e.g. fraud), calling people for jury service and checking credit applications.

The open register is an extract of the electoral register, but is not used for elections. It can be bought by any person, company or organisation. For example, it is used by businesses and charities to confirm name and address details. Your name and address will be included in the open register unless you ask for them to be removed. Removing your details from the open register does not affect your right to vote.

You can find more information about both registers and how they may be used on the legislation website.

How do I get included or removed from the open register?

If you are registering online at, you can click in the box if you want your name and address to be removed from the open register.

You can also change your preference at any time by making a request to: providing your full name, address and state whether you wish to be included or removed from the open register.

How do I change my name on the electoral register

You will need to provide proof of change of name if you have recently married or changed your name by deed poll. You can contact the Electoral Services Office by email or call the helpline on 020 7364 5000.

How do I change my postcode on the electoral register?

You need to register to vote every time you move home.

  • Register online at or
  • you can ring the office on 020 7364 5000 and provide the information over the telephone or we can send you a new registration application form through the post.

Can I register in more than one place?

It’s sometimes possible to register at two addresses (though you can only vote once in a government election). For example, if you’re a student with different home and term-time addresses, you may be able to register at both.

If you want to register at two addresses, go online at and make two separate applications. The Electoral Services Office will look at each application and confirm whether you’re allowed to register.

What happens if I don't register?

If you meet the conditions for registering to vote (eg, you’re 16 or over and you’re British, Irish or a national of an European Union or Commonwealth country) and you’re invited to register, you have to do so.

If you’re invited to register and don’t do so, your local Electoral Registration Officer could impose a civil penalty fine of £80.

You won’t be fined if you have a valid reason for not registering, eg a long stay in hospital, not eligible due to nationality or you have severe learning difficulties.