The Healthy Lives Team
The Healthy Lives Team works with all school staff, pupils, parents, and governors. We aim to support, encourage and enable children’s health and wellbeing.
What do we offer help with?
- healthy eating
- oral health
- physical activity
- mental health and resilience
- personal social health education
- active travel to school
We make sure schools focus on safeguarding. We also seek to protect young people from risk taking behaviours at all possible times.
Who do we work with?
- the council’s Public Health team
- Public Health England
- the Department for Education
- the Greater London Assembly
- Tower Hamlets Education Partnership
- West Ham Football Club
- The Daily Mile Foundation
- London Marathon Events
Tower Hamlets is the top performing borough in London for the Mayor of London’s Healthy Schools London awards. We have more Gold, Silver and Bronze Healthy Schools awards than any other London borough.
Healthy Schools in Tower Hamlets
See how we give vital support to schools, pupils and parents. We work with them all to tackle and reduce obesity and other health inequalities.
We also increase mental health and emotional resilience to drive academic achievement.
If you would like further support or details, please contact Kate Smith, Head of Healthy Lives, at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Daily Mile
We have supported over 60% of Tower Hamlets schools to start The Daily Mile.
Find out how Clara Grant Primary School use it to raise the whole school community's physical activity levels.
Change4life provides several healthy eating resources for parents to use at home.
- Easy follow recipes to feed a family of 4 for around £5.
- More quick and easy family meal recipes. Find 30 flexible dinner ideas with step-by-step instructions parents and families can follow.
- Facts about Sugar to support parents and families reduce their sugar intake. As well as information on the effects of sugar on children.
- What counts as 5-a-day? Information on portion sizes, top tips and what counts as 5 fruits and vegetables a day.
What is Sugar Smart?
Sugar Smart is a national campaign that raises awareness of excess sugar consumption. It helps to improve the food environment. Its goal is to encourage and enable residents to reduce their sugar intake.
Why is Sugar Smart important?
- Eating too many foods and drinks high in sugar can cause weight gain. It also increases the risk of heart disease, Type 2 Diabetes and some cancers
- Children in Tower Hamlets have higher than average levels of excess weight
- Levels of tooth decay are high in Tower Hamlets. Approximately 1/3 of five year olds have one or more decayed, missing or filled teeth
How can schools and community groups get involved?
Schools or community groups can sign a Sugar Smart Pledge.
To do that, please contact email@example.com (Public Health) and firstname.lastname@example.org (The Healthy Lives Team).
Healthy Schools Silver and Gold Award
If you are a school and want to see how Sugar Smart can be part of this award, please contact email@example.com
Healthy Lives newsletters
During coronavirus, the team has sent out a frequent Healthy Lives newsletter. It’s for all school staff, pupils and families. It gives easy access to health advice and information.
If you know anyone who would like to sign up to this newsletter, please send them the following link.
They will need to close the initial pop-up subscription box and complete the one on the main webpage. They will then need to choose Children and Education as their preferred topic.
Sign up to our newsletter.
Past editions can be found on our newsletter archive page.