Beware of scammers

We are aware of an online scam going around on social media.

It claims to be able to make your housing application a priority and give you the right to buy after 3 years.

We only ever allocate homes according to our policy. Every application goes through a series of checks to make sure it is valid and correctly prioritised.

Find out more

Finding schools and children's services if you're in temporary accommodation

Finding a school

If you are placed in temporary accommodation outside of Tower Hamlets, you may wish to change your children’s school. You and your children may find it tiring if they have to travel for long journeys to school, and it could be expensive.

Many families request transfers to temporary accommodation near to certain schools. We realise how difficult it can be to change schools but, due to a shortage of properties, we are only able to move small numbers of families in particular situations and they have to wait for long periods to move. Unfortunately, we are unable to consider long distances from schools as a special circumstance.

If you need help in finding a new school, you should contact the Education Welfare Service of the local authority you are living in.

To apply for a school place you will need:

  • birth certificates for the parent or guardian of the child or children
  • birth certificates for the child or children
  • confirmation of child benefit award
  • proof of identify and UK residence
  • proof of address, such as council tax bill or tenancy documents

Sometimes it can take some time to find a school place so it is advisable to keep your child in their present school until a place is found.

See more information on finding a school.

Pre-school children

For information about services for pre-school children that are available in your area, contact the children’s information service for your local authority.

You can find the details on their website or use the list below for the contact number for the children’s information service in your area:

  • Tower Hamlets – 020 7364 5000
  • Newham – 0800 074 1017
  • Hackney – 020 8820 7590
  • Waltham Forest – 020 8496 3000
  • Redbridge – 0800 587 7500
  • Haringey – 020 8489 1546
  • Enfield – 0208 482 1066
  • Barking & Dagenham – 020 8227 2163
  • Havering – 01708 371991

Within Tower Hamlets, Surestart provide a wide range of advice and services for people with children under five years old - find out more.