Accessible housing register (AHR)
The Accessible Housing Register, known as AHR, is a register of homes in Tower Hamlets that are accessible and/or adapted for disabled people.
The register is part of the common housing register and the London AHR which is currently being developed by the Greater London Authority.
Access information about homes for let is now available in the East End Life property adverts. More details can be found on the Homeseekers website and by contacting the client support team or the homeless independent living team.
The following are examples of the type of information that will be available on all property adverts:
- The level of accessibility
- Whether the property is wheelchair accessible
- Number of steps to the front door
- If there is a stair-lift or walk-in shower
The main aim of the AHR is to assist disabled and elderly housing applicants choose and bid for a home that will suit their needs. The register should also ensure that the limited stocks of accessible homes are let to the people who need them.
All social housing, i.e. council and housing association, and some privately rented properties, in the borough have been classified as follows:
- Category A: wheelchair accessible - purpose built to meet most recent wheelchair housing standards
- Category B: partially wheelchair accessible - designed to older wheelchair housing standards
- Category C: life time homes - specifically designed to create an accessible and adaptable home
- Category D: east access - designed to be spacious with no steps to the property
- Category E: step-free - general housing with no steps to the property
- Category F: general Housing
- Category G: not assessed
If you have been recommended an accessible housing category, you are advised to bid for homes within this category. You may however bid for other homes if you think they will meet your needs.
If you require assistance with choosing a home that is right for you, contact the client support team or homeless independent living team.
Other useful links
Client Support Team
Tel: 020 7364 0213
Homeless independent living team (HILT)
Tel: 020 7364 7302