Freedom pass for disabled people
What is a Disabled Persons Freedom Pass?
This freedom pass allows those who are eligible free travel across London and free bus journey’s nationally.
Who can apply for a Disabled Persons Freedom Pass?
You are automatically eligible for a disabled person's freedom pass if you meet one of the criteria below:
- Registered blind or partially sighted - confirmed by CVI form or LBTH registration letter
- Profoundly or severely deaf - confirmed by audiogram evidence
- Without speech - confirmed by GP evidence
- Have a disability or have suffered an injury, which has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on their ability to walk
- Without arms or have long term loss of the use of both arms - confirmed by GP evidence
- Have a learning disability that is a state of arrested or incomplete development of mind which includes significant impairment of intelligence and social functioning (statement of SEN or known to LBTH Learning Disabilities Team)
- If you applied for a driver’s licence to drive a motor vehicle (under part III of the Road Traffic Act 1988), whereby your application was refused under section 92 of the Act (physical fitness, epilepsy,nliability to giddiness/fainting or mental health), otherwise than on the ground of persistent misuse of drugs or alcohol.
- Personal Independence Payments (PIP) - the applicant must receive either:
- 8 points or move for the “moving around” activity under the Mobility component or
- 8 points or more for “communicating” activity under the daily living component.
- Disability Living Allowance (DLA) – the applicant must receive higher rate of the mobility component.
If you do not meet the automatic eligibility criteria for a disabled Persons freedom pass, you may qualify with further assessment.
You will be placed on the waiting list for an assessment to be carried out by our independent assessor (SHA Disability consultancy Limited), who will arrange an appointment for you with an independent assessor.
Due to the large number of applications being submitted, the current waiting time for assessments is within 12 weeks.
Once the assessment has been completed the mobility support team will review the therapists report and provide a decision on the application submitted.
To be eligible for a disabled persons freedom pass you must score 24 points or more in total on the assessment.
The freedom pass renewal application have now started. You will be required to submit a renewal application online.
You can apply using the online service, once an application has been submitted, the mobility support team will process the application.
Due to the increasing number of applications the process can take up to 14 working days provided the correct information and documents have been provided. If you do not meet the automatic eligibility criteria the processing time may take longer.
Once the application has been processed you will receive an update on the decision.
How to apply for a Disabled Persons Freedom Pass
To apply for a disabled persons freedom pass you must submit an application form.If you do not have access or are unable to use online services, you can arrange an appointment at one of our Resident Hubs by contacting the following number – 0207 364 5000.
Apply for a disabled persons freedom pass
Disabled Persons Freedom Pass holders’ responsibility
It is the pass holder’s responsibility to ensure it is used correctly and should not be misused as this may result in confiscation of the pass
Please read the information on how to use the disabled persons freedom pass.
You have the right to appeal if you are dissatisfied with the outcome of your application. You will need to submit your appeal within eight weeks from the date of the outcome.
Your appeal will be investigated by the Mobility Support Team leader who will make the decision on your appeal. If the decision requires a further assessment an appointment will be arranged by out independent expert assessor. Once the assessment is complete a final decision on your application will be provided by the Head of Parking and Mobility.
If your appeal is unsuccessful, you will not be able to reapply for 9 months (from the date of the final decision outcome), unless there is a significant change in your mobility where you will be required to submit new supporting evidence.
Submit an Appeal
How to renew your Disabled Persons Freedom Pass
A renewal letter will be sent out to pass holders who do not have a lifelong condition, whereby they must complete and submit an application of renewal either online or via post.
All applications submitted along with required evidence by post should be sent to the Mobility Support Team where the address is outlined on the form.
Those with a lifelong condition and whose residency has been confirmed as being on the Electoral Register will automatically receive their new passes at point of expiry.
Renew a disabled persons freedom pass
Lost, stolen or damaged pass
If your Freedom Pass is lost or damaged, please contact Journeycall Ltd on 0300 330 1433. Freedom Pass holders who lose or damage their cards will be charged for replacements. Pass holders can pay by debit or with credit card by phone.
If you have lost 2 or more passes
If you have had 2 passes replaced and have lost a third in a 12 month rolling period, your replacement request will be referred to Tower Hamlets Mobility Support Team. No more than 3 passes can be issued in any rolling 12 month period.